Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory appearing in paging file when it's disabled/deleted.

• Please log in to reply

PowerCycle

PowerCycle

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have 2 GBs of RAM on my computer so I decided to disable my paging file and have all my memory in my RAM since I only use 1 GB at the maximum.

I went to 'My Computer' properties, then advanced, performace settings, advanced and set the no paging file ratio. Then pressed set and applied etc... I rebooted, checked it again and it said it was at 0 mb. All sounds good so I checked for the pagefile.sys on my hard-drive and yes I obviously made operating system files viewable and the usual ones were there but the paging file was gone.

So I have no paging file right? It's been disabled correct?

Well, I went to task manger and it says my page file usage is 512 mb (varies obviously). Then, for my physical memory it says I'm using about 400 mb. I thought it just meant that the page file is the physical memory since it's task manager, I downloaded a program called TuneUp Utilities. In this program, it has an application called Process Manager - a lot like taskmanger but with more advanced features. It gives straight out anwers. It says 33% of my RAM (physical memory) and my paging file is at 28%.

I keep checking for a pagefile.sys on my hard-drive and there isn't one and windows tells me my paging file is disabled. What is going on here? Shouldn't the task manangers show the pagefile at 0%?

Thanks, any help/knowledge is appreciated.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the paging file is really just a chunk of reserved hard drive space where data may be written and retrieved as needed....

the temptation is always great when you have a RAM packed machine to totally eliminate the page file. Don't do it... By design, some components in Windows XP require the presence of a page file, even if they never use it for its intended purpose. You'll likely receive out of memory type errors if you eliminate all page files. Feel free to set the page file to the required minimum (2MB) if you have sufficient RAM, secure in the knowledge that XP won't access the page file unless it's absolutely needed, but again - don't eliminate it totally.....

with the size of drives today setting the swap file size to 1.5 to 2 times the amount of RAM is nothing...when I build systems I put a large swap file (4 GB ) right after installing xp...that puts it at the fastest part of the drive...thats if using only one hard drive...with two drives I put the swap file on the 2nd drive (before anything else) and just use the 2MB minimum on the first drive..

Edited by happyrck, 11 June 2007 - 07:23 AM.