Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe Mode then Dead

• Please log in to reply

Feverpitch

Feverpitch

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I'm no longer to power on my computer with the on-off button.

When I started up the system yesterday, Windows 98 appeared on the screen but did not load. After I pressed the Reset button to unfreeze and restart, the computer booted in Safe Mode, giving me a message that Windows 98 would not load on the last try and that Safe Mode would help me find the error. Since I did not know what to look for, I clicked Shutdown in the Start menu. The screen went blank, but the system did not power off completely like it usually does. I then pressed the on-off switch (which has always worked only to power ON the system), and the system shut off. However, now when I press the on-off switch, nothing happens.

Advertisements

sunmash

sunmash

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
When you press the On-Off switch, are you absolutely certain that nothing happens? Are you sure the hard drive is not running or there are no sounds of beeps emitting from the computer.

It is very important to describe the situation with detailed clarity.

IF (and this is a big IF) you press the On-Off switch and nothing happens, then you may have a fault hardware. The first suspect would be the power supply. Get it tested or get it replaced with a positively functioning power supply. It could also be a dead motherboard.

I am looking forward to a more descriptive response.

Edited by sunmash, 08 October 2007 - 10:02 PM.