Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop screen will not come on

• Please log in to reply

lewallen

lewallen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite Lapton running Windows XP. It is a couple of years old. About two weeks ago the power supply died...I purchased a new power supply and now the screen will not come on. All of the lights (power, wireless, battery, etc.) come on and I can hear the computer actually booting up but the screen never comes on. I have tried rebooting, taking the battery out, and a few other things but nothing seems to work. One would think that it was the LCD but everything worked fine until the power supply gave out...and now with a new power supply the screen doesn't work. Could the power supply be preventing the screen to come on? The power supply that I purchased was one that was compatible with my laptop.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

I realise you said that the new power supply is compatible but have you actually checked the power ratings stated on it to that of your old supply (i.e voltage, power output etc)?

Assuming the new power supply is ok, then it's possible that when the old one died, it spiked one of the components in the screen. Just to eliminate the possibility of the problem being with some other component in the laptop (e.g video card), are you able to connect the laptop to an external monitor? At least if that works then you know the rest of the laptop is fine.

One last thing - this is highly unlikely I know but it is possible that the screen controls (i.e brightness/contrast etc) have simply got turned right down?