Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro won't find home network

• Please log in to reply

Mark W

Mark W

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have two computers running Windows XP Pro in my house and they each easily find the MSHome network. I just hooked up a 3rd computer this weekend. It was one I built myself and then installed Windows XP Pro on it. It is running fine and I installed some software and also it's able to find the router in my house and get onto the internet so I know the basic networking is working.
The problem I have is it won't find any of the other computers and their shared drives. I have gone through the network setup again and was hoping that would make a difference but I'm still having the same problem. I don't want to have to do a complete reinstall again. Any idea what's causing this?

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Can you ping the other computers from the new computer?

On the new computer if you open My Computer and in the address bar type the name of one of the old computers like this: \\computername

What happens?

Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Does your custom built PC have a firewall. If so this the could be the problem. Sometimes Firewalls tend to block other computers on the network. I would goto your firewall or router and open the ports. I may also recommending that you ping the computers. In XP click on Start than click run than type CMD "Command Prompt" than type ping 192.168.1.1 or whatever IP's the computers are on.

Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Does your custom built PC have a firewall. If so this the could be the problem. Sometimes Firewalls tend to block other computers on the network. I would goto your firewall or router and open the ports. I may also recommending that you ping the computers. In XP click on Start than click run than type CMD "Command Prompt" than type ping 192.168.1.1 or whatever IP's the computers are on.