Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI Question

• Please log in to reply

nitesshadow

nitesshadow

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
I'm thinking of getting a soundcard (E-MU 0404) that is PCI 2.1 but my motherboard only has PCIe slots. Will 2.1 still work with PCIe? I've been looking at the Wiki article but can't find any helpful information.
Any help would be great =)
Thank you

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the only thing that will fit (physically) in a PCIE slot is a PCIE card...so you've got to get PCIE cards if all you have is PCIE slots

nitesshadow

nitesshadow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, I've also found that it has two other PCI slots but doesn't specify if it's 2.1 or what, I mean it's quite a recent motherboard so I'm assuming it will be but it would just be nice to be sure...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you have the motherboard make and model it would be easier to verify that

nitesshadow

nitesshadow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It's an ASRock AM2NF4G-SATA2, it's cool though I'm pretty sure it'll be okay and either way we'll find out tomorrow =)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The AM2NF4G-SATA2 has two standard PCI slots, a PCI-E x1 and a PCI-E x16.

Your E-MU 0404 is a standard PCI card so it'll fit in one of the two standard PCI slots available.