Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nothing Loads!

• Please log in to reply

CivicGuy

CivicGuy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I noticed the last few times I've booted up that it was lagging between the sign in and the desktop, and now after i tried to delete google desktop(dont even know why I d/l'ed it) it told me it had to finish installing (it would never fully install for some reason) and it restarted itself, now the desktop and taskbar wont load.

I've used Ctrl+Alt+Del to open explorer.exe but it just pops upand dissapears instantly..

I can obiously use programs, but i cant move files or get to half of my programs that are on the taskbar, including system recovery, which i wouldve done ( go back to a point and fully restore ALL files) but now cant.

I'd use my XP disc to repair XP... but can't locate the disc..

ANY help would be great!

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Welcome! :whistling:

You can launch System Restore by typing the following under Task Manager's File | New Task
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

If that doesn't work, is this only for your profile, or does it do the same for every profile?

Edited by Pi rules, 11 June 2007 - 02:05 PM.

CivicGuy

CivicGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah it's for all of em. I tried a retoration to an earlier time before, what im trying to get to is system recovery from a earlier time, its the same but it replaces every single file, like a format back to that day. But since my program list is on the taskbar i cant get to it.

Normally it gives me the option to restore or recover (the format like one) but using rstrui.exe only lets me restore and when i do that its still the same..

If I cant get this to work i dunno, cuz i cant re install xp MC without the disc.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Do you know the name of the Recovery program?

CivicGuy

CivicGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
HP System Recovery

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I've found a few different things on the Internet, but try running the following:
C:\hp\recovery\splash.exe

CivicGuy

CivicGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It just says it isnt a folder and that i should check if all my connections are in..

C:\hp exists theres just no recovery folder

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Do you know somebody with an XP Media Center CD?

Meanwhile, do you know the exact location and name of the shortcut? I was able to launch a shortcut without explorer.exe running with cmd.exe.

Edit - you can order replacement Recovery CDs here.

Edited by Pi rules, 12 June 2007 - 02:38 PM.

CivicGuy

CivicGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well I fixed it!

What I did was immediately after turning the pc on i hit F11 a few times and it jumped right to the recovery program i wanted.
I reformatted and now it's working (and now everything updates for windows correctly as well)

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Good to hear! :whistling: