Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display adaptors help please.

• Please log in to reply

Fox07

Fox07

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
After problems with my computer last week it was taken into the shop to be sorted and he managed to save everything but when I got it back tonight it was without sound. I fixed that by downloading some drivers but I also noticed whilst I was in the device manager that the display adaptors have the little yellow sign next to them. Well I'm not sure what the display adaptors are and whether they will affect anything. Could someone please tell me if I can get them back to how they should be or will they have to go back to the shop to be put right? :whistling: Thanks. :blink:

This is what it says in device manager.

Posted Image

Edited by Fox07, 11 June 2007 - 04:40 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can right click it, click update driver

You could get them from SiS.com

http://www.sis.com/d...?url=/download/

The drivers will be on the motherboard CD if you have that

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks for your help Keith. :help: I tried your first suggestion but it didn't work because it said it couldn't find the necessary software. :whistling:
I'm not sure which driver I should be downloading from the SIS site because there seems to be a few. :blink: Also I don't have any cd's for the motherboard. :help:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is the driver

uvga3_380.zip

http://www.sis.com/d...1.php?id=155938

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks Keith. :whistling: That is actually the one I downloaded to my desktop although I wasn't sure if it was the correct one but I don't know what to do with it now - its not just a case of opening the file and it will work is it - won't I have to put the contents in my computer or something - sorry if that sounds daft but I haven't a clue what I am doing when things go wrong.. :help:

What exactly do the Display adaptors do and what would happen if I didn't correct the problem? I have noticed since I got my computer back from the shop that my standby button which I used to use a lot so I didn't need to turn my computer on and off all day - has gone - its not lit up anymore so I can't click on it and also everything on my desktop is very large - the icons and the writing and I can't seem to change it so I am assuming this has something to do with the display adaptors? :blink:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got winzip or similar

If not, download extract now from my signature, install with the add to context menu option

Right click the SiS file, there will be three extract now options, use extract to named folder

Open the folder, double click set up

You can keep either the SiS zip or the Named folder on a CDR so you have them if you re-install

Extract to named folder is the option I use in case a zip file has a lot of files in it, this keeps them in one checkable place.

If your virus scanner has the option to scan the folder, do that as well, very unlikely to be a problem with this file, but worth doing with any file you download

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
About the display adaptor

In a nutshell

The CPU, working in conjunction with software applications, sends information about the image to the graphics card. The graphics card decides how to use the pixels on the screen to create the image. It then sends that information to the monitor through a cable.

More here

http://computer.hows...aphics-card.htm

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thank you so much Keith - everything is back to normal again now and even my standby button has lit up again. :whistling: Thanks for explaining it so clearly. :blink:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know