Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to get more GHZ?

• Please log in to reply

amityville

amityville

• Pip
  • 9 posts
i'm a noob when it comes to hardware that doesn't connect to a PCI slot.
i was wondering how important GHZ are, and how can i upgrade this?
tell me all you know about ram, and GHZ, please.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
GHZ stands for GigaHertz...hertz is a measure of frequency and giga is a prefix meaning one billion, so a gigahert is a billion hertz or a billion cycles per second (megahertz or MHZ is a million cycles per second)...in a radio this corresponds to the frequency at which a crystal vibrates...in a computer this is the frequency at which the device (the processor) can perform a cycle or a calculation...so in the purest sense....a 1GHZ processor can preform 1 billion calculations a second (a 500 MHZ processor can preform 500 million a second) in practice..you don't really reach this number exactly...but that's the basics

to upgrade GHZ (that's a silly statement by the way) you have to upgrade your processor which often times means upgrading your motherboard

ram is Random Access Memory...and it's where your processor stores it's info (basically)....instead of having to go out to the hard drive or cdrom every time it needs info for something....your system will dump what it needs into RAM so that it can get to it faster (because the access rate on RAM is A LOT higher than that of a hard drive)

the two most important factors in normal computing speed are your processor speed and your amount of RAM...followed (usually) by your graphics card