Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

a306x Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

ssbn

ssbn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:whistling: I did search and found something from 05 but no answer for me. If someone can please help me I am trying to find out what processor(s) I can use to upgrade the factory processor in my HP a306x. I can find a lot of processors but which one will replace the "Pentium 4 / 2.6 GHz 400 MHz front side bus mPGA478" that I have. Someone please :blink: me.

Thank You
SSBN

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Here are the specs for your mobo:
http://h10025.www1.h...;product=371640

It looks like it will support any Pentium 4 N or Pentium 4 HT socket 478 processor. I think it is manufactured by MSI so you might want to check their site to see if BIOS updates have added additional support, such as Pentium D (dual core). As is, this is the best processor that Newegg carries that will work with your motherboard:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116215

As you can see, it's not much of an upgrade over your current processor and probably not worth the money. You'd be better off increasing your RAM or upgrading your video card. Other than that, your upgrade path for this system is pretty much exhausted so it's time to start saving up for a new one.

ssbn

ssbn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank You for the help.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I you can't find any information regarding wether or not it supports Pentium D's it probably doesn't, even though they are the came socket the motherbaords required different voltage regulators to run the chip. Considering your motherboard came out in 05, and Pentium D's first arrived at our door steps on the 26th of May 2005, there is a good chance your motherboard will not support it. But there is still around a 30% chance or less chance that it will.
Regardless, they are a bad chip (manly due to heat) as it is and they are being phased out causing prices to rise fast.
James

Edited by james_8970, 12 June 2007 - 12:12 PM.