Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

Woch2331

Woch2331

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Trying to setup Outlook Express on my aunt's computer (has to be simple and easy for her) but I'm getting 2 different errors and I haven't been able to find a solution to them yet.

1) When Outlook Express opens (and it's very slow), AIM starts up also. I've checked the options in AIM and Outlook Express and it still starts up.

2) When I close Outlook Express, a message pops up: 'You have unsent messages in your Outbox. Do you want to send them now?' There are no messages and even if I say Yes, it happens the next time I open Outlook Express.

Advertisements

hary

hary

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Trying to setup Outlook Express on my aunt's computer (has to be simple and easy for her)

Here is a simple way to pick and send messages without using OE, and you don't have to register.

mail2web

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Trying to setup Outlook Express on my aunt's computer (has to be simple and easy for her) but I'm getting 2 different errors and I haven't been able to find a solution to them yet.

1) When Outlook Express opens (and it's very slow), AIM starts up also. I've checked the options in AIM and Outlook Express and it still starts up.

2) When I close Outlook Express, a message pops up: 'You have unsent messages in your Outbox. Do you want to send them now?' There are no messages and even if I say Yes, it happens the next time I open Outlook Express.

Before doing a lot of changes and you can, I would make a system restore point.

What OS are you(aunt) using? You say slow. What amount of RAM and how old is PC? Do you get actual error codes? When you say set up, did you do a recent install for OE? Moved from IE 6 to IE 7? Have you made sure you have latest updates for current OE? IE6 Updates. Latest version for Win XP. Have you done a recent cleanup of hard drive using the Disk Utility? Have you defragged recently?

1) See if you can disable AIM from starting from clicking Start, then Run and typing in msconfig in address window. Click OK and wait for System Config Utility window to come up. Click Startup tab. Scroll through list and uncheck boxes referring to AOL/AIM. Click OK and reboot as requested. After reboot you'll get a notice that you are running in selected mode or something like that. Just check box in lower left corner and click OK. Open OE and see if you have AIM opening at same time. I think you may have to uninstall AIM if this doesn't work for now and it keeps interfering.

2) Try looking at this: Inside Outlook Express.

HTHs,

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 13 June 2007 - 06:39 PM.

Woch2331

Woch2331

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I just reload Win XP Pro on the computer. Added basic software (Office, Ad Aware, SpyBot and a few other applications). It's a Petium 4 1.8 GHz Sony Vaio with 384 MB of RAM. All windows updates have been installed and the hard drive appears to be working fine.

I'm using Startup Control Panel by Mike Lin to edit applications instead of msconfig. AIM is not listed. The problem occurs when Outlook Express is opened. AIM starts up then and I've looked through Google searches, but those 'solutions' are fixing it. I did time Outlook Express and it took just a little over 2 minutes last time I opened it.

There are no 'error codes' when I shutdown Outlook Express. I get an information dialog box telling me about the 'unsent' messages.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
But did you go through the instruction of link in 2) of post #3?

OE keeps trying to send a message but the Outbox appears to be empty

First check the obvious. While viewing the Outbox, click View | Current View and be sure it is set to "Show All Messages". Also verify that "Show replies to my messages" is not checked. If you then see the unsent message you can delete it normally. You should then click File | Folder | Compact.

If the Current View setting is correct, then the "Outbox.dbx" file has been damaged. This can be caused by antivirus programs scanning outgoing email. This scan is not necessary to protect your computer if you still have antivirus system scan running in the background, so disable all email scanning to prevent future damage. To repair the Outbox, close Outlook Express and delete "Outbox.dbx" in your store folder. A new Outbox will be created automatically when you re-open Outlook Express.

Ron