Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8800gts + 3800x2 bottleneck?

• Please log in to reply

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Hi
I was thinking of buying an 8800GTS card, now my processor is an Athlon 3800X2. I was wondering whether this would be a bottleneck or should it run fine? Thanks

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes there will be a slight bottleneck.
If I remember correctly it's 4200+ and down for AMD and the E4300 and down for intel.
Though the bottleneck should only be slight, regardless the card will run fine, just performance will be slightly hindered.
James

Edited by james_8970, 12 June 2007 - 12:00 PM.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Thanks
Would the botttleneck be reduced at all if I got the 320mb version instead of the 640?

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
There is very little difference performance-wise in current games between the 320 and 640mb versions. If that will remain true in the future is still unknown as developers begin to design games specifically for DX10. With your current configuration, it makes more sense to buy the cheaper card because you're going to be CPU limited anyways. However, if you plan on upgrading your CPU in the future then you might be better off buying the 640mb card. It's really a question of your plans and your budget.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

There is very little difference performance-wise in current games between the 320 and 640mb versions. If that will remain true in the future is still unknown as developers begin to design games specifically for DX10. With your current configuration, it makes more sense to buy the cheaper card because you're going to be CPU limited anyways. However, if you plan on upgrading your CPU in the future then you might be better off buying the 640mb card. It's really a question of your plans and your budget.

Actually the only differences the ram will make performance wise is in games. The only time you'll see the differences is if you game on resolutions greater then 1680x1050 or have very high AA.
James