Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems during startup after SP2 install

• Please log in to reply

mintchip

mintchip

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi,

I'm new here. This looks like a great forum...one stop for all needs. I use to post on a very popular forum like this, but it closed down quite some time ago, so it's time for me to find a new home.

I've recently done several updates. I finally bit the bullet and installed SP2 (I procrastinated for fear of complications..stupid, I know). After installing it, at every startup I got this window, which had never happened before:
Posted Image

I finally got tired of seeing it and selected Photoshop to open it with (I think it's part of PS) hoping to find a solution that way, but PS opened blank. I obviously haven't got a clue. After that PS 7 started loading on every startup instead. This was taking forever and driving me crazy. Why was a disabled file (it has always been disabled) now trying to open on startup and throwing this notice at me? And what did SP2 do to cause this, since I had not changed any settings, etc? Yesterday I removed Gamma Loader.Ink using HijackThis, and it's now in backup. PS no longer loads and opens at startup, but I don't think this was the best solution and I would like some advice, please. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

DiggerP

DiggerP

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,
unless you need Gamma Loader,which it seems you don't,
consider it fixed.You did the right thing.
SP2 replaces a lot of files and in the process might have renewed the reference
to the disabled Gamma Loader link.
Don't worry about it :whistling:

mintchip

mintchip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks DiggerP. Much appreciated. I hope you're right. I don't know much about the Gamma Loader, except that it has something to do with screen color correction?? It's nice to know I did something right for a change. :whistling:

DiggerP

DiggerP

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi
I may have to correct my statement re gamma loader a bit
See here:http://www.processli.....0gamma loader

However if you have Adobe Creative Studio,you may want to re-instate it,
just don't let it run on Startup.
Use Startup CPL Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel or similar to control programs at startup.
If you can't reinstate it,mabe reinstall it,but again don't allow it to be added to startup.
use a startup monitor (from the above site) to keep check what wants to be added to Startup.

Edited by DiggerP, 14 June 2007 - 12:18 PM.

mintchip

mintchip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Ugh! This is getting more complicated. I really appreciate the link and info. I'll see if I can figure this out, but I'm not feeling very confident about fully understanding it. This gamma startup thing is really getting on my nerves. I should be able to reinstate it. It will reinstate into the startup folder (which is where I found it). Can I just move it to a different location, or do I need to use the code?

DiggerP

DiggerP

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,

The reason I said to possibly re-instate it,was because I didn't know what you removed it from.
If it was originally in the Startup folder and a shorcut to Gamma Loader,
don't re-instate it.You'll be back to where you were before.

As it is now,I would leave it alone.
Gamma Loader will still be able to run,except not on Startup.

Use the little utilities I mentioned, to control and check what's on Startup.

And yes,gamma Loader does control the monitor's color profile,
for more info check these links for a discussion on it:
http://www.adobeforu.../webx/.3bc34cc0
and
http://photo.net/bbo...g?msg_id=00B5Xy
http://www.xrite.com...p...3002&Type=d

Edited by DiggerP, 13 June 2007 - 08:37 AM.

mintchip

mintchip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks for the great links and info. I hadn't noticed the first time that you posted a link for the startup utility...it was an unusual looking link and I thought it was something else. Anyway, I'll try that utility out. Thanks.

It's a good thing I mentioned where the Gamma Loader file originally came from. I have now found all the paths. Obviously the file in question was not the Gamma Loader.exe, which I have now found in a different location..the calibration folder. After reading your links, I feel much more relaxed about this. I reinstated the file to see what would happen, and on startup it went back to showing the window that I posted above, instead of loading Photoshop. I have now put it back where it was, so it will not be bothering me anymore. I'm leaving it there. Again, many thanks for your help.

Edited by mintchip, 14 June 2007 - 08:38 AM.

DiggerP

DiggerP

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi'
You're welcome.
You had a nice little practise run.:whistling:
This way you get more comfortable with issues like this.

You're right about the link to Startup CPL.
I did it in a hurry and somehow the link ended up funny although valid.
I think I will edit it.

BTW,Startup CPL starts in a small window.To make it easier to see the paths,resize it by dragging the corner.It doesn't have a resize (maximize) button.
The reason I like it is because it's small and leaves the entries in place
in case you do want to re-instate them for startup.
You can also add new entries.