Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

svchost.exe and Windows Driver Foundation Service error at startup

• Please log in to reply

Nxuan

Nxuan

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I currently have a problem with my svchost.exe: everytime I start my computer, a popup comes out with the message "The instruction at "0x7c928fea"referenced memory at "0x00000010".The memory could not be 'written' "
Since I have read a lot of issues about that error, I tried to check the other topics, ran a complete scan with AVG AntiVirus, Panda ActiveScan, AVG AntiSpyware and WindowsDefender. Nothing special showed up, except some spywares in cookies. Even after removing those, I restarted the computer, and the problem is still there.

I decided to go and check the event viewer to see where the error came from. Shortly after the application popup in the system list, I had an error (with a red X)
It appears to be something called "Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework" :
the event viewer says "The Windows Driver Foundation Service - User-mode Driver Framework has been stopped with an error : a peripheral attached to the system does not work properly." (translated from French, may not match the actual English typical error message)

I would be very grateful if you could help me on this.

Edit: I have just tried disabling the "Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework" in the service.msc list .
More info on the service is available there:
Name: Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework
Description: Manages user-mode driver host processes
Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k WudfServiceGroup
If I disable it, I don't get any error message at startup anymore, but the system is still very slow and I would like to ensure everything is alright tif I disable it, since I am not sure of its use and it looks like it's a service from Microsoft.

Edited by Nxuan, 12 June 2007 - 11:09 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Nxuan...

Sorry for the delay in getting to you... :whistling:

Because the Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework service is dependent on the Plug and Play service, let's start there. Go to the services and check to see that the Plug and Play service is Started and it's startup type is Automatic.

Is this how you find it?

wannabe1

Nxuan

Nxuan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, I just checked. It's started and on automatic too.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
One down... :whistling:

Let's take a look at the peripherals. What external devices do you have connected to this machine? This would include printers, external hard drives, flash drives, scanners, cameras, or anything that is not installed inside the case. Can you list them for me please?

Nxuan

Nxuan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well that's easy... I am using a laptop, and no external device except my USB mouse. I am connected to a wireless too, but I am using an internal card for that. Any ideas?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...guess that makes two down...

Let me take a look at what's running on there. Download and run HiJackThis on the machine...use the options shown in steps one and two on the download page. Attach the log to your next reply. If you have trouble attaching it, copy and paste it to the reply and I'll attach it once I've looked at it.

Nxuan

Nxuan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello, sorry for not responding faster, but I was working today and wasn't at home.
Here are 2 HJT logs, one with the "Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework" service set on automatic (as it was before) and one with that service deactivated.

Some interesting thing is that when I rebooted with WDF on automatic, I forgot to remove my memory stick, and it caused my laptop to freeze on the "welcome" screen. I had to remove all USB drivers (my memory stick and my USB mouse) and restart again to make it to windows. I don't know if this is related or may help find the cause.

Moreover, if you can find anything that I can remove to make it run faster, I would be grateful too, even though it's not related to the current problem.

Attached Files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't see anything running on there that should cause the problem. However, in lieu of your new discovery, go to services.msc and set the Startup Type of the Windows Driver Foundation Service to Manual.

Reboot and see if you boot properly and if you get the error.

Nxuan

Nxuan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I just tried, looks like it's working fine. I checked under services.msc, and the program is not running.

I tried to start it manually, and it gives an error:
"Impossible to start the service Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework on local host
error 31: a peripheral attached to the system does not work properly"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Manual is the recommended Startup Type for this service...you should be able to leave it that way without adversely affecting the machine's operation.

Are you now able to boot with the USB devices connected?

Nxuan

Nxuan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I was able to boot with my USB mouse yesterday. I didn't try with my memory stick though. It's working ok now, thank you :whistling:

Is there anything I can do to make my computer run faster?