Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop code x109

• Please log in to reply

Fallen_Milkman

Fallen_Milkman

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Before I get started, Specs:

Board: ASUS M2NSLI-32 DLX NFORCE 590 SLI

HD: 250GB SATA II 3.GB 7200RPM 8MB

CPU: AMD X2 6000 AM2 CPU

Memory: 1 GB DDR2 PC6400 MEMORY x 2

Video: PCI-E Geforce 7300 256MB x2

Alternate NIC: Gigbyte wireless card

Ok I do not have the PC in front of me but I am going to check it out this weekend and tear into the dump file. Usually I like to do some research before I see the PC but I can't find anything (in english) concerning this stop code.

E-mailed error:

"modification of system code or a critical data
structure was detected.
make sure hardware or software was properly installed
if problem continues disable or remove newly installed
hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options.
stop code 0x000000109 (0xA3A385DB6FA3F,
0x0000000000000000, 0xDOF87671070EBD73,
0x0000000000000101."

She is also getting an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error but forgot to write down the stop code.

From what she is saying this pc has been doing it since the day after I got it up and running again. This PC has been nothing but problems and the tech support for the place I got it from is a bunch of monkeys. www.cyberpowerpc.com. Not recommended.

Anyway, the story. I get the PC shipped to me from them, I put on some basic apps, firefox, adaware, spybot, and World of Warcraft. None were even lauched. I hit up windows update and install the high priority updates available. Reboot. Every 10 minutes I'm getting BSOD errors.

I check the system log and see some DCOM errors in there. So I research those error and end up fixing it but changing permissions in Component Services. Still getting BSOD errors. I don't remember the stop code off the top of my head.

I tried dealing with their tech support but never got anything useful from them and got sick of sitting on hold. So I formatted the machine and started over. Got XP 64 installed, installed the mobo driver from the CD, the 2 video card CD were useless as they were 32bit drivers. Got the 64bit from the website, installed them. Downloaded the sound drivers from the manufacturer's website since they wouldn't install off the cd. Had to download the other wireless card's driver from their website as the Gigabyte cd gave me errors. I notice in Dev Mgr I was missing 3 driver, after research I found it was the chipset drivers. Download and install them. Bingo. PC is up and running. I did the windows updated off the bat, downloaded SP2 and the high priority updates. Ok system reboots. Comes up, no event log errors. I'm in the clear right?

Almost.

I click on IE and get an application error and it closes. Every time. SoB right? Well I go into the 64 bit IE and it works fine.. Then I discover I cannot run windows updates on a 64 bit browser. So i download firefox and install the IE tab addon. I can run windows updates from there. Didn't think too much of it.

Install all the apps I had before seems to be working great. So I send it home with her.

Few days later I get a call saying she's getting BSOD. It's happened once a day since she got the PC.

[bleep].

From talking to her it seems like a random occurrence.

I just got off the phone with her as I'm writing this. She is saying it is getting harder to reboot. Apparently it is telling her is is unable to boot windows (again, she doesn't have the exact error). But if she powers off for a few minutes and tries again it boots fine.

So there's the story. I have a few ideas of what I am going to try when I get there, examine the dump file, run memtest and a hard drive test. I'm also going to verify that I have 64bit drivers for all the hardware devices on the PC.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Lets go ahead and see if that blue screen error message created a minidump.

Blue screen error messages are one of the most misunderstood error messages out there in regards to windows.According to Microsoft, only 5-20% of these errors are actually caused by the OS. Only 10% are hardware related. The other 70% are the result of faulty drivers or software incompatibility. Based on those numbers, less than 15% of blue screen errors can be permanently resolved with an OS reinstall.

So we can correctly solve this issue we need to get the minidumps.

To get the Minidumps do the following

1 > Create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like.
2 > Navigate to %systemroot%\minidump You can paste that address in address bar to get there. Then copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date.
3 > Close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Please do NOT compress them in .rar
4 > Use the "add reply" option upload that zip file here as an attachment.

Fallen_Milkman

Fallen_Milkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I know there is a dump file and I have the tools to read them, sometimes they tell me right where to look, other times i still have to do some digging. I'll upload the file either way though to see if anyone else can spot something I can't.

Fallen_Milkman

Fallen_Milkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok so i checked the dump file and it lead me to believe it could be an issue with the ram. So I started running memtest, got to about 5% and I started getting bombarded with errors.. So i pop out one of the ram sticks and start back up, run memtest. Gets to about 1800%, no errors. I shut down swap the sticks. I get to about 2% and have about 187 errors. So it looks like the issue is with a bad ram stick lol

I'll contact the vendor and get a new one, if that doesn't fix it, i'll post on this again ;-)

AleX__

AleX__

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi people.

I'll be glad to someone tells me what's problem with my comp. Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon x64 3000+
RAM: 2x 512 DDR400, dual channel
MB: Foxconn WinFast, nForce 430+GeForce 6100
HDD: WD Caviar 80Gb
Graphics: Saphirre Radeon x1300 256MB DDR2.

I have exactly the same error (STOP: 0x000000109 (0xA3A03A3878FE7962, 0xB3B76BECB7B4C50, ,0xFFFFF800012C1E73, 0x0000000000000001)), I mean the part 0x00000109 is the same.
I've done all the job you listed above, and memory seems okay (it gets me only one error - tested with memtest 2.01). I think one error doesn't matter (don't know what you will say). Configuration worked fine for a 18 months, and suddenly it began restarting. I haven't put in it any new hardware or software when it began. Than I go reinstall OS, and still no result. When I turn off cashing of the CPU from BIOS, it isn't rebooting, but comp is about 3 times slowlier. I turned off automatic restart from options, and I get BSOD with the text I entered above. I have and .dmp filr, wich I am posting here (can you also tell me what is opening that file...).

And, my chipset's heatsink is very warm...

Best regards, and hoping to get any kind of answer soon.

Attached Files

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Hi Alex :)

When you have a problem and need to post for help you should always start a new thread for it :) sometimes people won't look at an old topic assuming by the post# that someone is already helping.

I don't have anything to add here really, just wanted to say you should start a new topic instead of posting in an old one.

You could take out the ram with the error and see if you still have problems...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Hi Alex :)

When you have a problem and need to post for help you should always start a new thread for it :) sometimes people won't look at an old topic assuming by the post# that someone is already helping.

I don't have anything to add here really, just wanted to say you should start a new topic instead of posting in an old one.

You could take out the ram with the error and see if you still have problems...

this is good advice.. on both counts...

AleX__

AleX__

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanx, people, in the fututre, I'll add a new topic, no problem.
And no problem with comp anymore, one RAM was dead, it'll be replaced.
And there won't be problems in the future with that comp, I'm buying new one.

Best regards!