Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD 3700 engineering sample

• Please log in to reply

peter74

peter74

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi. Firstly I make all the necessesary apologies if its the wrogn section, already been asked etc. Sorry!

I bought an AMD 3700+ engineering sample processor off e-bay. The seller stated that the FSB needs to be set up manually in bios.. easy enough. Ou with the old processor and in with the 3700. Power on...black screen... all components have power i.e. drives, graphics, monitor (no pictire) etc.

So, out with the 3700 and back in with the old one, update bios to latest version for Abit KV8 pro and back in with the 3700... power on and guess what? Black screen all components have power i.e. drives, graphics, monitor (no pictire) etc.

Question is has anyone any idea what the [bleep] is going on? I'm running out of thermal paste.......Any help or advce would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Well, from what I can tell you bought a bad CPU. If you are sure that it is compataple with your MOBO then it is definatly pointing in that direction. This is why we always advise against buying computer parts from ebay. I would attempt to return the CPU ASAP.

I think you may have already known this but were hoping that it wasn't true.

peter74

peter74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Denial is indeed a wonderful thing Titan. Do you think its possibly something else than a DOA? I mean my mobo supports the CPU but because its overclocked maybe, and yes I'm still in denial, its something else. Is it possible to set the FSB with my other CPU and then change to the 3700 without losing the bios settings?

Thanks for the reply. eternally hopeful and not that much out of pocket.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What is your other processor? If it is overclocked then that could be the problem. How were you able to overclock it? Had it booted up before?

Go ahead and clear your CMOS before you boot it next time. If you don't know how, you just removed the battery on your MOBO. Also some MOBOs have jumpers that will clear the CMOS. This will put your board back to the default settings.

peter74

peter74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
My old CPU is an AMD 3000 and is not overclocked. Also I have cleared the CMOS with the 2 pin thingy and removed the battery after installing the 3700. Although it is seeming mor likely the chip is dead I'm get hold of another mobo and test it on that too.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Two things you did wrong, Engineering sample and Ebay two big NO NOs in computers buying computer parts off ebay is like asking to be kicked in the nuts, especially considering the 3700+ can basically be had for near cost prices at most retailers that still stock them they are just stupidly cheap to buy a retail one. You could try adjusting the FSB with 3000 it depends how smart your motherboard is, if the 3000 works when you put it back in and the 3700 doesnt then its most definately the 3700 thats the problem and it does sound like you got ripped off, but really what were you expecting i hope it was really cheap.

peter74

peter74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for your encouraging response warrior! It was cheap £30 so I'm not too bothered but you are right I was a bit hopeful thinking it would work first time, if at all. Anyone wanna buy a CPU, its going cheap?