Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to get rid of IE!

• Please log in to reply

jacobusmatthew

jacobusmatthew

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
there is nothing horrilby wrong with IE but like when i want to Windows Update from the start menu it opens IE and then a million pop-ups and icons installed on my desktop follow.............i changed everythings default to Firefox......and i went to add/remove windows components.............i am also aware that what i see on my desktop is technically a form of IE so deletion may not be possible any thoughts ????

Matt :tazz:

Advertisements

Darrenkook

Darrenkook

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Just joined, so this is my first post...Windows update will only work with IE since Microsoft owns it. You cannot remove IE from Windows because it is bundled in the operating system. Making F/F your main browser is the best thing to do, but some programs do not so you are forced to use IE. Google for IE-spyad for and install it. This is some added protection from many bad sites..

cobhcf

cobhcf

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
How do you do mate? You cant just remove IE, although iam pretty sure you can mess around with the files and screw it up ;) . But i wouldn't recommend that ;) . IE can be quite useful at times. Some sites require IE to be displayed properly. Although Firefox is far far superior than IE, it still has its own collection of bugs. For example, some active x based sites need IE and so does some online streaming sites. On the brighter side, more and more people have started using Firefox so, we can put a full stop to this IE shiite.

Cheers! :tazz: