Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

building a new tower

• Please log in to reply

lpchris85

lpchris85

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
well this is the 3rd new PC i have built in the past year and one might figure i would have the art of system building down lol. this is my problem:

all the hardware is in place, mobo, new vid card, cpu, etc. and all are working fine.
heres something i had not done before that is making an issue: instead of buying a new OS cd and a new HDD, i decided to recycle a HDD from my old HP machine that runs windows XP. I would like to keep all of the data on the drive so i decided to make this my main drive for my new machine. sounded easy enough.

however, when windows XP begins and gets to its loading screen it will blue screen for a split second each time and restart. i was able to get into safe mode and install all of the mobo drivers. i was hoping that would fix the issue but it has not. obviously to me this is just the HDD freaking out do to a massive hardware change, but this shouldnt be a very big issue. What is the best coarse of action to take here?

much appreciated as always!!! :whistling:

Advertisements

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Im pretty sure that if you didnt reinstall Windows youll get hardware and driver conflicts because its different hardware.

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
how do i correct the problem then? will i have to do a system restore? i would really like to keep all my same files and settings.

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
well i ended up breaking down and reformatted the drive. it then worked great, got all drivers installed and was ready to move it to another room. then i encountered another issue that i need alot of help with:
i unplugged the machine, slid on the side of the casing, and walked only 15 ft or so to another room in my home. when i plugged in all the peripherals i noticed that my monitor would not give a display. thinking it was just a monitor issue i took my machine back to the first room and plugged it into my original monitor. that would not display anymore either.
therefore, between walking 15-20 ft from one room to another, something internally had somehow failed or become unplugged.
i have checked inside, swapped video cards (turned out not to be the issue.). and i know the motherboard was not DOA because it had worked minutes prior to this issue. has anybody encountered a problem like this? is there any way to resolve this besides buying another motherboad?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well your first problem as you noticed was basic, most OSs are hardware specific to whats installed you need a fresh installation just common sense and you should backup to another medium and to your non OS partition on the hard drive whenever you put a new system together with old drives.

Second something happened in its little trip if you cant work out what happened, strip it(take proper ESD precautions) check every component for damage check all switches, fuses and jumpers and reassemble very carefully.

Adebisi

Adebisi

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
For your first issue, you did not need to reformat.

Boot off your original windows XP cd.

When it firsts asks if you want to do a repair install, say no and move on, otherwise it takes you to the recovery console, which we do not want.

Then it will take you to Windows setup. Select the partition with Windows XP on it, and hit R for repair.

It will reinstall windows XP over itself. It will keep all your data, settings, favorites, email accounts, everything. But you will need to run all your Windows, direct X and driver updates again after you are done and some of your stuff may not work until you do that. Especially if your original CD was pre-service pack 2.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Repair installs arent 100% they should never be the first choice, you really need to reinstall windows every now and again anyway to keep it in order a repair install in a new system for an old drive will give way to its own problems. If you are smart and properly partition your drive in the first place you shouldnt lose anything with a reformat.