Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hacker Protection

• Please log in to reply

tubui

tubui

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Someone hacked into my computer today, how, I have no idea but he has access to my documents. Please tell me advice on how to prevent this and blocking him/others in the future. Firewalls, Antivirus, please anything..

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there tubui, this doesn't sound good! :blink:

Fortunately there is some good information on this forum! Can you look at this link. In particular, I recommend AVG as your antivirus (remember, only use one antivirus program on your computer), ZoneAlarm as your firewall, and both Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard. I also recommend using Adaware SE Personal and Spybot S&D (these last two are in my signature).

In particular, a firewall is what you need to stop people from accessing your computer. XP SP2 has a basic, one-way firewall that I do not recommend, especially when a free one that does a much better job is available.

Other than that, if you like going for a paid program that has all-in-one kind of solution, (which, why would you bother when you can get it for free?), I do not recommend Norton or Mcafee, I have seen to many problems with these programs. I currently have a version of Trend Micro Internet Security (PC-cillin), which works very well. Note that when the subscription runs out, though, I will be reverting to the free programs I recommended up top!

Cheers, happy and safe computer using! :whistling:

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
This is what I have currently installed now:

AVG 7.5
Spyware Doctor v5
Spyware Blaster
Lavasoft Ad-aware 2007

Please tell me what else I shoul have.

I am installing Zone Alarm now.

As for the windows security tools/firewall, should I turn it off?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Windows firewall will turn itself off when you install Zonealarm.

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Free ZoneAlarm will do it for firewall right?

Is there any specific settings I should set for Zone Alarm free.

Can someone tell me about Zone Alarm, for some reason now my MSN messengeer and AOL is not connecting and I allowed it.

Edited by tubui, 14 June 2007 - 09:08 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Yes, Zone Alarm free will do the job just fine. For settings, make sure it always prompts you before allowing a program to access the internet. Unless you are networking, Turn your "Trusted Zone Security" to High. If you are networking, put it on Medium. Under "Internet Zone Security" put yourself on "Stealth mode".

Double check that MSN messenger was allowed. Click on the Program Control button on the left.

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
What settings should I set it to to allow computers in my network to view my files, use my printer, etc?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Turn your "Trusted Zone Security" to Medium.

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
What about Internet Zone Security.

[edit]
Last time this was my settings and computers cannot access mine.

Internet: High
Trusted: Medium.

Edited by tubui, 16 June 2007 - 03:00 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Under the Firewall tab on the left side (click on it) and then click on Zones at the top right. Add the other computer you want to have access to the Trusted Zone by inserting that computer's IP. For example, if computer two wants to see computer three, then on both computers you should do the following...

For computer 2:

Add 192.168.10.3 to the Trusted Zone

For computer 3:

Add 192.168.10.2 to the Trusted Zone

If that doesn't work, let us know.

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
How do I know which IP belongs to which computer? Is there a way I can just add my whole network which is HOME.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, I'm not sure how well it works, but you can add an IP range to the Trusted Zone instead. When you click on add, it will have a drop-down box for IP Address, etc. Look for IP Range. Type in 192.168.10.1 to 192.168.10.5 (You can add more, I just don't know how many computers you have).

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
2. I've installed ZoneAlarm but cannot see other computers or print files on my home network. What should I do?

To share printers and files with other computers on your network, you will need to configure ZoneAlarm to allow access to the computers with which you plan to share resources. To configure ZoneAlarm for file and printer sharing, first make sure that your network is in the Trusted Zone.

To make sure you can connect to your home network and share resources, open the ZoneAlarm user interface > click on Firewall (left-hand column) > and select the Zones tab.

Under the Name column, find your home network (it might be the only listing). Under the Zone column, click one time on Internet.

A little box should appear (as seen in the picture below) that says "Internet" and "Trusted". Click on Trusted.

Close ZoneAlarm.

Next, go to Firewall (left-hand column) > Main tab > and make sure that the Internet Zone setting is on "High" and the Trusted Zone setting is on"Medium".

I see under name 3 things, not sure which is my network:
Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet - Packet Scheduler Miniport
WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Loopback adapter

They're all set to Internet, which one am I looking to setup to Trusted?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I'm thinking the first one, but I'm not positive. Use trial and error to find out. In most cases, you wouldn't want to use trial and error, bu this won't cause any damage, so it's fine.