Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless to desktop pc

• Please log in to reply

Bull35

Bull35

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is probably computers 101, but I'm just starting to play with the wireless part. Here goes: I have Wild Blue sattelite inernet installed at my home. This is connected to a LinkSys Model WRT54G-v6 wireless router. My wife and I have matching IBM Thinkpad R-51 laptops that we use throughout the house and on the road. I have an office approximately 200' away from my house. In this office I have a Gateway desktop pc that I use for business. I would like to know what type of equipment I need to hook the desktop to my wireless, if my router is the right one to reach that far,(the router is positioned next to a window that faces the office, and there are windows in the office that face the router). Can someone please help me? I've been to on-line chat with the "geek-squad" and all they would tell me is that I need to buy some more equipment from Best-Buy. Talk to a sales person is all I hear. I can do this, I know I can, but I just need a little advice so that I'm not just "parts buying". I appreciate any info or help anyone can give me on the subject. Thank you.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. You have to realize that routers are generally made so that you can get the internet throughout your house. I know that in my school, there are several wireless routers. There's one in every building. The reason is because there's no way they could reach that far. Of course, the school hooks all those routers into the server using the networking cables, but in any event, the range of those routers cannot be 200'. You can always try strengthening your signal using those signal amplifiers, which is probably what the Squad told you, but there's no guarantee that it will work. Keep in mind that even if you do get a signal, it may not be very strong, so you might be surfing at 12 MBPS instead of the 56 MBPS that your router is capable of.

I don't think you should be discouraged by what I'm telling you, but I think we need to look at some products and figure out what you need, let alone assess the costs. Have a look on CompUSA by clicking here ... This is what I think you will need. These products strengthen the signal, however, you never know how far they extend it. My suggestion is to go to the local computer store (CompUSA was just an example) and talk to someone there in the networking department. Someone there should be able to say whether or not the product will reach. If he/she says yes, take it. If it doesn't work, bring it back. (Always check the return policy before taking that risk).

Keep in touch, this might work just fine :whistling:

Edited by Facedown98, 15 June 2007 - 07:45 AM.

Bull35

Bull35

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your fast response to my question!! I'm looking into the Hawkins Hi-Gain 14dBi Outdoor antenna. The stated range seems to ensure that the signal will be adequate. As to the desktop pc, I'll contact Gateway to insure that I get the right wireless setup. Again, Thank you very much for your time!!! :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
No problem :whistling:

Keep in touch with us, I'm curious to see how this will turn out.