Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Million post thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
We have dispensation from Admin to post what we want, but I don't think (or advocate) posting political or religious stuff would be OK.

We can do random stuff, as long as we don't have too many posts from the same person in a row. So song and book? Add movie? I'd like to add 2 movies for me 1st is mainstream, second is lesser known.

"The Princess Bride" well known and "Amazing Grace and Chuck" lesser known.

What can we post to share of ourselves, and generate some discussion?

Advertisements

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

What can we post to share of ourselves, and generate some discussion?

What does everybody do for a living?
I am a commercial roofer.
Feel free to ask any question's about my job.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
I kind of thought this thread was supposed to be just ramblings about anything and by ramblings I mean conversation - the idea being to increase the post count. I think Admin's idea of no back to back was to ensure the conversation continues amongst various people and not someone talking to themself. It doesn't matter what the subject is and it can be changed at any time.
Bit of news from Aussie. We had the worst storms for 35 years around Newcastle 2 hours north of Sydney about two weeks ago and a large bulk coal ship was blown onto Nobby's Beach. Cyclonic winds and waves as high as 17 meters were reported. Here is a link to a webcam on the beach.
The ship has been grounded for two weeks. And has just in the last half hour finally been towed out (so don't know if you'll still see it on the webcam ... sorry!).

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Song - Mouth For War by Pantera
Book - Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
Movie - Snatch

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
No one is obligated to post on any topic here, I end up looking at the screen and saying to myself, "self" ('cause that's what I call myself when I'm talking to myself) "what are you going to post about"?

Perhaps this will help others, perhaps they are singing to my cat.

Edited by bobmad, 24 June 2007 - 08:37 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm a trolley collection contractor. I think people call them 'carts' in America. Those box on wheels thingies you put your groceries in. I actually have to go to work now, but it's a really sucky job. I've done it since I left school and all I really want to do is get paid for all the time I play on the computer.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I have missed a few days of posting horoscopes.......darn PL's so here we go with todays :whistling:

Horoscopes for Monday
06/25/2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARIES
(Mar. 21- April 20)
You may want to make changes that will turn your entertainment room into a real family affair. Take time to do some writing, whether it's correspondence, poetry, or keeping a journal. Everything is moving quickly, just the way you like it.

TAURUS
(Apr. 21- may 21)
A lack of support and negativity have been the main problems. You can have a great time if you go out with the one you love. You can make money, but try not to let it slip through your fingers.

GEMINI
(May 22-June 21)
Partnerships may be strained if one of you has been erratic and hard to deal with. You will have to make changes in order to eliminate the tension. Be cautious not to get involved in office chatter that will cause problems for others.

CANCER
(June 22-July 22)
Changes at home might come fast and furious. Pamper yourself; the self esteem it brings you will be most gratifying. You will enjoy getting together with friends.

LEO
(July 23-Aug 22)
Think before you act. Unforeseen circumstances will disrupt your daily routine. You may be emotional and quick to judge others. Joint ventures might prove to be unfavorable.

VIRGO
(Aug. 23 -Sept. 23)
You may be in love today, but who knows what tomorrow may bring. Problems with relatives and friends could surface. Someone may try to damage your reputation.

LIBRA
(Sept. 24 -Oct. 23)
Travel will turn out to be far more exciting than you imagined. You will meet a person who may turn out to be more than just a friend. You may be overly emotional when dealing with your mate.

SCORPIO
(Oct. 24 - Nov. 22)
Don't bother complaining, do the work yourself. Social activity with friends and relatives will be most successful. Don't let others put unreasonable demands on you.

SAGITTARIUS
(Nov. 23 -Dec. 21)
Be prepared to make compensations and adjustments. You are better off visiting friends or relatives than entertaining at home. Educational pursuits can bring interesting, helpful people.

CAPRICORN
(Dec 22.- Jan. 20)
You can get into weight loss programs or go out and change your image with a new look in clothing, hairstyle, and attitude. Control your anger. Only bite off what you can chew.

AQUARIUS
(Jan. 21 -Feb. 19)
New interests are preoccupying your time. You can expect opposition at work. Don't let your competition be privy to information that could be incriminating. You may have some difficulties with someone you live with.

PISCES
(Feb. 20-Mar. 20)
Positive changes regarding your personal status are evident. You will get upset over trivial matters. It's time to make professional changes.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Look at my avatar - I'm a domestic goddess! I actually worked full-time for 16 years I was a COBOL programmer for 7, moved into telecommunications sales (all for what is now Verizon but was Bell Atlantic at the time), and then spent a year with a small consulting firm as a networking consultant. My husband had, with my support, bought a small company in 1996, and by 2000 it had become successful. The long hours we both had, plus all the traveling he does, were taking a toll, so I decided to stop working and stay home with our 5 and 7 year old daughters. My husband and his partner hired me to be their IT department, so I work part time for them and take care of the house, a dog and cat, and my family. I'm responsible for a server, 31 desktops, 4 laptops, the security system, the website and the phone system. I am a jack-of-all-trades, and absolutely master of nothing!

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

I am a jack-of-all-trades, and absolutely master of nothing!

Me too ….

When I was 17 I joined the Marine Corps. fresh out of high school, I did that for 8 years and had some of the best & worse times of my life. Then I was a Corrections Officer in the state of Virginia, did that for about 6yrs it was a good time, I was the SWAT team Commander so I got to run a small unit of Officers and do some good training with several different agencies. And currently I am an Investigator for Target Stores here in the US. My primary focus is external Organized Retail Crime, but I have been known to work a few internal cases as well. This job is my calling in life ….. I had no idea prior to working for Target that retail loss prevention had such a problem Organized Retail Crime that they need investigation teams. In a nut shell this is what I do… I track (through a network of reports and communication with store side loss prevention teams) theft trends with in a region. Once I have days, dates, and times I will deploy to a store and apprehend the subject/subjects. Normally these are foot solders ( junkies, gang members, etc..) and we will use their information to identify fencing operations. Then through partner ships with law enforcement we will set up surveillance, controlled buys etc.. in effort to close down the operation. We also work counterfeit money rings, credit fraud, return fraud, Efencing(selling stolen good on ebay), etc.. However everything we do as Investigation is a much bigger scale then everyday theft at store level.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I was a COBOL programmer for 7

...that explains a lot...ALOT...no wonder you're so tight on grammar and syntax..

are we doing "my life in 30 seconds" now?

i was lucky (or unlucky...depending on your views) enough as a child to have parents that were capable of supporting me and my brother pretty well through high school etc... (not rich...but not poor....enough to live comfortably) so i never had to have any jobs when i was in school...a couple summers i worked at a shipyard with my brother "down the bayou" while we stayed the summer in the swamp with my grandparents (we were "environmental roustabouts"...basically..pick up this bucket of disgusting sludge and dump it in that vat of disgusting sludge)...i guess the downside of that was not having any work experience once i got out of high school....when i graduated...i moved to Lafayette Louisiana where i went to college at USL (i refuse to call it UL of L....losers)..i got my first actual job at an Albertson's grocery store (like a Kroger or whatever supermarket you've got near you) as a night stocker (not a night stalker...i didn't get paid for that job)...this was my first...and incontrovertibly the worst REAL job i ever had...there were 5 of us (sometimes it was just me) and we had to stock and "front" (lining up packaging on the shelves) the entire store between 10:00 P.M. and 7:00 A.M. because "they" didn't want us stocking when customers were active in the store (24 hour establishment mind you...i guess they didn't care if the drunk college kids saw us)...we routinely got trucks with 5 to 7 THOUSAND pieces on them...which means 5 to 7 THOUSAND boxes that could contain god knows how many little boxes inside of them...it was awful...this is also where i learned that hot sauce and the ocular region of the face are not good things to combine (dropped a 32 ounce bottle of crystal hot sauce off the top shelf which caused the entire contents, along with glass, to shoot into my eye)...worst 6 months of my life...once i moved up to Tenn...i got a job at a local hospital in the dietary department reading menus to patients, setting up trays, delivering the food, and bringing up stock items to the floors...i was pretty good at that job...very efficient...i had about 4 hours of free time in the day because i could get everything done that was required of me..did that job for about 2.5 years...while doing that i took CNA (certified nursing assistant) classes at the hospital...after completing those classes i transferred up to the Patricia Neal rehabilitation facility (Google it) on the orthopedic/stroke rehab side (the other side is spinal cord and brain injuries...not fun at all)...i actually really liked this job (for the most part)...i got to meet a lot of really nice people and their families...got to see a lot of success and determination (with it's fair share of failure and disappointment)...stroke patients are extremely fun to deal with...most of the time they're very happy people and determined to get themselves back to where they were before the stroke (also very easy to play jokes on)....ortho patients suck...especially men who get hip replacements....this group of patients reinforces the fact that women are stronger than men....you put an 80 year old man who just had a hip replaced next to an 80 year old woman who just had both replaced at the same time...and i can promise you that the man will be the biggest baby in the world and the woman won't seem like she had anything done at all...worked up there for about 2 years before they decided to relieve me of my paycheck..while i was working at the hospital i started school at ITT...from there i got a job at a local "outdoor outfitters" as the "doitallwheniaskyoutodoit" guy...i started by cleaning out a house across the street from the store that was used for storage for the past 15 years...then started tagging products that came in off the trucks and putting it out on the floor etc... then they moved me into "inventory management" where i actually received the products into the computer system (think 15 year old wyse terminals), processed and entered the POs, printed labels, changed pricing, added new items, and managed the website (www.gearpro.com one of the first outdoor related web stores....don't go there it sucks) orders...not that bad of a job...except that the owner is a maniac, a tyrant, and an idiot...and i had to work in the office next to him...i finished my ITT courses and started looking (sort of) for a new job while working at the outfitters...i got a phone call from the company that i currently work for asking if I'd come in for an interview (good ole' itt sent in my resume cus i had never heard of these people)...came in for the interview and got the job....now i manage the entire local network here...I've got about 12 servers, 100+ desktops and 100+ users...i manage the phone system, security, cameras, a nifty production tracking system...and anything else that plugs into the wall (Dave...this razor isn't working...can you fix it?)...this lists as the best job yet...very few complaints...very "easy" work and always entertaining...plus the Internet connection isn't too bad..

Advertisements

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

stroke patients are extremely fun to deal with...most of the time they're very happy people and determined to get themselves back to where they were before the stroke (also very easy to play jokes on)

Are you the evil monkey that lives in Chris Griffins closet?
Posted Image

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you found me out keith...now i'll have to make you "dissapear"

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Great stuff! I find these "30 second career recaps" very interesting. I'll post one when I'm not using a phone keyboard. Keep 'em coming. :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I'll post one when I'm not using a phone keyboard

30 second career recaps admin...not 30 minute ones...i can just see yours now "was a sandal salesman with moses for a little while, worked with newton as a secretary, did a little bit of work at the Henry ford plant the first year...."

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Are you calling admin old? If so, I'd hate to see how you'd rewrite my work history. Isn't it bad enough that I had to admit to being a COBOL programmer? That already puts me in the dinosaur category. If you're not nice, I'll bore you with talk of using punch cards, waiting for tapes to be hung so my program could be run, using JCL (job control language for those of you who don't know) to compile and run my programs, and what life was like before the days of PCs.