Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Million post thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Oh, and admin? I posted my career recap using a phone keyboard (which explains how I'm missing a period :whistling: ).

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i had a teacher at ITT (john ryan...awesome dude) who is officially old as dirt....he used to work at ORNL (Oak Ridge National Laboratory) here in the computer devision...he brought in one of the original hard disks from one of the decomissioned machines from "back in the day" it was a 5 foot across metal disk that was about an inch thick and stored (if memory serves correct) about 25MB of data...the thing weighed at least 175 lbs....rediculous

there's a guy in maintenance here that says he does cobol as a hobby (according to him he did all that jazz back in the army....but i believe him as far as i can throw him...and he's tubby)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
oh...also sari....i'm not stupid enough to make fun of a woman's age....generally not conducive to maintaining quality of life

GodSpeed005

GodSpeed005

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Glad I could throw a few useful pieces of information out there and be part of the 1,000,000.

2,000,000 HERE WE COME! :whistling:

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I find it hard to believe that anyone would do cobol as a hobby, unless he thinks it's a type of drink!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think he thinks it will impress someone.....every time he's ever told me that...i wait till he walks away...look at the person next to me and go "pffttt cobol.....riiiiiiiigggghhhhttt) i once saw the guy fly off a ladder because he forgot to turn the circuit off before changing the ballast of a flourescent lamp...

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Life in 30 seconds:

My first job was at a bowling ally. It was horrible. They didn't have anyone to train me on my first day. I was given some keys and some cleaning supplies and sent to work. That night luckily I had met a bowler there who was an ex employee. He more or less trained me. Next it was on to the best and easiest job I ever had. I folded T-shirts for an entire summer, "An Army of One" shirts. I got a job at a Moby Dick's (fast food fish). I worked there all of my senior year of highschool. Sometime after I graduated I was promoted to manager. This would seem like a good thing but in reality I was taking on a ton of new responsibilities for an extra $1.50 a hour.

I got a part-time job working for UPS, where I am currently at now. That job was completly life changing for me. The past four months I have spent educating myself on computers and training MMA (mainly jiujitsu). I will be starting college this fall.

I didn't have a lot of ground to cover.

Edited by Titan8990, 25 June 2007 - 09:09 PM.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Horoscopes for Tuesday
06/26/2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARIES
(Mar. 21- April 20)
Romance may be better than you ever thought possible. Snap out of it. You should be on the road.

TAURUS
(Apr. 21- may 21)
Don't get involved in other people's private doings. Maybe it's time to look into ways you can improve your health. Invite friends over rather than spending money on lavish entertainment.

GEMINI
(May 22-June 21)
Unexpected events may upset your routine. You can pick up additional responsibility that will lead to higher wages and a better position. Try not to overspend on luxury items.

CANCER
(June 22-July 22)
Good day for romance. Opportunities for advancement at work are apparent. You really can't do anything to change matters today.

LEO
(July 23-Aug 22)
Unexpected visitors will be a welcome surprise. Do not get involved in joint financial ventures. Be very careful while in transit or while traveling in foreign countries.

VIRGO
(Aug. 23 -Sept. 23)
Do not get involved in joint financial ventures. Work quietly behind the scenes. You will drive your emotional partner crazy today.

LIBRA
(Sept. 24 -Oct. 23)
Acknowledge your lover's needs. Communication will be the source of your knowledge and you must be sure to spend time with those who have more experience. Think twice before you say something you might regret later.

SCORPIO
(Oct. 24 - Nov. 22)
You should look into making some physical changes, such as new hair color or toning up your body. Deception is probable if you don't use discrimination. You may need a good friend to lean on.

SAGITTARIUS
(Nov. 23 -Dec. 21)
Your lack of attention may have been a factor. Try to concentrate on research and acquiring information that will be of value in your chosen field. You may not be as well received in group endeavors if you try to force your will on others.

CAPRICORN
(Dec 22.- Jan. 20)
Your creative talent may well be recognized by others today Don't let your emotions get out of hand. You will find it easy finalizing personal papers if you make an effort.

AQUARIUS
(Jan. 21 -Feb. 19)
Try not to judge too quickly. Some relatives will be extremely perplexing. Do things with your children and avoid situations that make you feel as if you've neglected the ones you love.

PISCES
(Feb. 20-Mar. 20)
You will find yourself tied to the phone. Your ability to put things together will be appreciated by your comrades. You should be getting into self-improvement projects.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Seems like we can't do anything to get some momentum on this thread.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Seems like we can't do anything to get some momentum on this thread.

You're expecting too much. Relax and enjoy!

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I agree with admin, and the momentum comes when someone posts something people can respond to. Posting a complaint that nothing is happening is not exactly conversation-inspiring.

On that note, I'm going to brag a bit. I started running this past winter, and decided this spring to run races with my local running club. I'm not running very long distances yet, so I'm doing the 2 mile and 5K races. My best time so far is 15 min. 40 seconds for 2 miles. For the spring series of races, I took second place overall for the women, based on points (which are assigned for each race you run, and for what place you come in). Last Wednesday was the first of the summer series of races. In a 75 person field, I came in 25th with a time of 15:59; I was 6th place for the women. This just goes to show you're never too old to start something new. I'll be 47 in less than 2 weeks, and I really feel a strong sense of accomplishment.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
WTG Sari :whistling:
Those are great times, especially if you have never done any kind of distance running before.

My bragging rights.
I played soccer for eighteen years from the age of five until I was twenty three when I stopped to have more time for my newborn son.
Now that he is five and a half and has been playing soccer for over a year I decided to get back into it myself and join the team that the other coaches play on, we had our last game of the season two weeks ago.
It felt great to get back into my old position (left fullback) and lose myself in the game for ninety minutes, I even scored a goal in our third game.
I can't wait until the fall season starts.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I played soccer for many years - I stopped at the age of 30 after blowing out my right knee for the second time. I was playing in a co-ed league, which was great fun. My two favorite positions were left fullback and sweeper. I loved taking the ball from people!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well I hope you hit the 4-minute mile, sari. Looks like you're on track :whistling:

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

For those of you who have a copy of spybot search and destroy you may or may not have played the game hidden within it. If you are bored whilst scanning for spyware on your machine you can amuse yourself by playing a little game hidden within the program. To access the easter egg just click on the small binoculars on the top left of the screen. The object of the game is to uncover all the numbers and reveal the hidden picture underneath.

Edited by keithr128, 26 June 2007 - 08:21 PM.