Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Million post thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

listen here spelling [bleep]....

It's nice to know that a Global Moderator would use a word like that knowing full well that there could be a person of German decent that would find it offensive such as myself.
I know I may be taking it out of context, but would it be any different if I or another person referred to someone who did not want to pay for something as a cheap <person of Israeli decent>?

Edited by admin, 17 July 2007 - 04:35 PM.

Advertisements

MattSchollmeyer

MattSchollmeyer

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
....Dude, just cause he is a global moderator does not make him superhuman or humorless...you must remember that...im german, i found it amusing(not funny)but amusing

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

It's nice to know that a Global Moderator would use a word like that knowing full well that there could be a person of German decent that would find it offensive such as myself.
I know I may be taking it out of context, but would it be any different if I or another person referred to someone who did not want to pay for something as a cheap <person of Israeli decent>?

Yes, he could have made a better choice of words. However, I think we all know in what context it was used. Seinfeld referred to someone as a soup [bleep], dsenette referred to sari as a spelling [bleep]. Neither has anything to do with the [bleep] party. Although you may not find it in a dictionary, in modern culture [bleep] has also come to mean someone who espouses an ideology so absolutely that they try to force everyone else to it. Someone who tries to control the behaviour of others by defining, limiting and quantifying. While not an admiral trait, I don't think it's cause to overreact.

Edited by admin, 17 July 2007 - 04:36 PM.
removed a quoted, quote

MattSchollmeyer

MattSchollmeyer

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
woah the whole quote in a quote thing is confusing..... :whistling:

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

3. Sometimes Offensive. (often lowercase) a person who is fanatically dedicated to or seeks to control a specified activity, practice, etc.: a jazz [bleep] who disdains other forms of music; tobacco [bleep] trying to ban smoking.

From http://dictionary.re.../browse/[bleep]

Edited by admin, 17 July 2007 - 04:36 PM.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

4. Questions, Answers, and other Content
You may post content on this site, so long as the content is not:

* Illegal
* Obscene
* Threatening
----->* Defamatory<-------
----->* Hateful<--------
* Invasive of privacy
* Infringing of intellectual property rights (such as copyright and trademark rights)
---->* Racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable<-----
* Otherwise harmful or injurious to third parties

From http://www.geekstogo...boardrules.html

MattSchollmeyer

MattSchollmeyer

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
how about we speak of something nicer...like kittens

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

4. Questions, Answers, and other Content
You may post content on this site, so long as the content is not:

* Illegal
* Obscene
* Threatening
----->* Defamatory<-------
----->* Hateful<--------
* Invasive of privacy
* Infringing of intellectual property rights (such as copyright and trademark rights)
---->* Racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable<-----
* Otherwise harmful or injurious to third parties

From http://www.geekstogo...boardrules.html

I agree with admin that dsenette's meaning was consistent with the definition that I posted, just as Seinfeld referred to the soup [bleep]. It was not intended in a defamatory way. I have a reputation on these boards as being a real stickler about spelling, and dsenette is often on the receiving end of that (in a joking way), so he often gives me a hard time about it. While I agree it may not be the most admirable word to use, you have to look at context when determining the meaning.

Edited by admin, 17 July 2007 - 04:43 PM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

While not an admiral trait, I don't think it's cause to overreact.

Speaking of being a stickler for spelling - I believe you meant admirable. Or perhaps this is a commodore or captain trait?

*sari doesn't want to be only mean about dsenette's spelling.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
While I personally didn't find dsenette's use of the word objectionable, I can understand the strong feelings some people have. I've decide to remove it from this thread, and add to the bad word filter.

Next off-topic, topic please. :whistling:

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Speaking of being a stickler for spelling - I believe you meant admirable. Or perhaps this is a commodore or captain trait?

I think it is! :whistling:

MattSchollmeyer

MattSchollmeyer

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
how about kitten

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
What about Mary?

MattSchollmeyer

MattSchollmeyer

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
mary who?

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
One of my dog's has a horrid way of waking me up at night when he needs to go outside.
He puts his face about 10 mm from mine and starts panting, now we all know that dogs in general have bad breath but when it is that close to your face it is also very, very, very hot.
When he woke me this morning at 2:30 am I was actually sweating from his 900 degree breath.( If his breath were actually 900 degrees I would not have a dog but a dragon that I mistook for a dog.)