Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't start up

• Please log in to reply

tibed

tibed

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey guys. I'm writing this on an internet pc and I won't have time to wait for an answer so I'll check back later for hopefully some advice.

Last night I switched my pc off at the switch at the back and now windows won't start up. I didn't think that you could really damage your pc that way, but it seems I have. Now my pc keeps asking if I want to start up in safe mode etc, but then it either reboots or goes to a blue error screen telling me to reboot!! (if I disable it restarting on system failure).

I've tried restarting the pc by using all the different ways (safe mode etc) and also tried loading system defaults and stuff from the bios, but it's still the same.

I'm using Windows XP Proffessional and I don't have a disk or backup of any kind. It's a second hand Compact pc, 1 hard drive, no back up one. It came with XP Pro already installed.

Is there anything I can do to get it to start guys? Thanks.

Advertisements

jarid

jarid

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
what type of message are u receiving? Is it telling you you have some type of system error? and are u missing/have corrupt files? are u able to access safe mode at all?

if theres nothing on it u want u could wipe is clean..is there important files?

Edited by jarid, 15 June 2007 - 03:24 AM.

tibed

tibed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I first get the options to startup in safe mode etc, then it restarts and the options come up again.

It goes to a blue screen if I select 'disable automatic restart in the event of system failure' from the options. The blue screen said something about having to stop to protect files or something similar. Is this the 'blue screen of death'?

How can I wipe the HD?

Edited by tibed, 15 June 2007 - 03:48 AM.

tibed

tibed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I don't have a disk of any operating sytems so wiping clean isn't a good idea is it?

Yes I am able to access safe mode, last known configoration etc, nothing I choose makes any difference though.It keeps rebooting to the screen with the options for safe mode...Unless I choose the option to 'disable system restart on system failure', then it goes to the blue error screen...

I've run out of time here. I'll get on a library pc later if I can.

Thanks for trying to help mate.

Edited by tibed, 15 June 2007 - 04:00 AM.

jarid

jarid

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
If you wanna fix it im pretty sure reinstalling it would be a good idea if u dont mind losing ur info..at the same time you can try a recovery disc/same os disk, or hiren's is what i used when i had missing/corrupt. files on my computer u will prolly have to buy hiren's or cough"torrent" cough, srry about that...i would go with buying it so it's legal "wink wink".... idk you might be able to dl ur os cd onto a disk and burn it as an iso file...if you do this u prolly wont lose any data...at the same time have you tried changing the bios to boot from hardrive or boot from last time windows worked?

tibed

tibed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ok cheers mate. I have 20 seconds left on here lol.

jarid

jarid

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
kk lol peace

tibed

tibed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello again :whistling: I've not tried that Hiren's yet but I thought I'd try something else first. Well, the blue screen error message that keeps coming up is 0x0000007b, 0xf894d640, 0xc00000340, 0x00000000, 0x0000000. I read the sticky about the subject but it didn't help, maybe because I didn't understand parts of it though.

The PC that I get the message on is an AMD Athlon 1ghz. I've recently tried an older HDD on it, but the same message comes up. I know there is nothing wrong with that drive because it's the one I'm using now on an older P2 pc. I've also took the RAM, graphics card and floppy drive out of the AMD pc and they all work, so they are not the problem. I've also swapped the ribbon (?) cables round too, but the same message happens no the AMD.

I am pretty sure the HDD that was in the AMD is busted because it doesn't work in the older pc either, but is there some reason why the other HDD doesn't work in the AMD? All the cables are connected properly and it's set in the BIOS and stuff.