Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer no longer on the network

• Please log in to reply

jittor

jittor

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello all,

I am running Window XP Pro and our office was on a small network. We have a shared folder on everyones computer that we share files between. All of a sudden my computer, and only my computer no longer connects to the network. I can connect to the internet with no problems, but no the network and the shared folder. I can see the computer that the shared folder is networked on in "My Network Places" but cannot access it. I have tried everything - resting the modem and router. Restarting computers, renewing IP addresses, firewalls are off. I am at a loss. Any ideas or suggestions would greatly help.

Also, this the error I get when trying to access the shared folder or the computer that the shared folder is networked on:

"\\Kellyann\kellyann © in not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help."

Here is the error I get trying to access the shared folder, I obliviously get this because I can't even connect to the network:

"The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'workgroup.lnk' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and the try again."

Thanks,

Jon

Advertisements

Low Man

Low Man

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hello all,

I am running Window XP Pro and our office was on a small network. We have a shared folder on everyones computer that we share files between. All of a sudden my computer, and only my computer no longer connects to the network. I can connect to the internet with no problems, but no the network and the shared folder. I can see the computer that the shared folder is networked on in "My Network Places" but cannot access it. I have tried everything - resting the modem and router. Restarting computers, renewing IP addresses, firewalls are off. I am at a loss. Any ideas or suggestions would greatly help.

Also, this the error I get when trying to access the shared folder or the computer that the shared folder is networked on:

"\\Kellyann\kellyann © in not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help."

Here is the error I get trying to access the shared folder, I obliviously get this because I can't even connect to the network:

"The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'workgroup.lnk' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and the try again."

Thanks,

Jon

1. Check the Windows firewall setting on others computer.
2. Check if your computer is infected with malware. If so, contact the security forum.

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
maybe you are in a differnt work group. this would stop it. I will have to do some research or ask a member of staff if they agree and how to change this, but i have had this before on my home network.

Low Man

Low Man

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

maybe you are in a differnt work group. this would stop it. I will have to do some research or ask a member of staff if they agree and how to change this, but i have had this before on my home network.

You could get your way around this by installing a new protocol (IPX/SPX/NetBus) on the networking setup. Anything could be shared on this protocol. Done that.