Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bkf files and storage

• Please log in to reply

kewellfan7

kewellfan7

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hello, just got a 250 gb desktop drive. I'd like to back up the data on my computer and put it on this removable drive. Would i be able to backup my stuff into the drive by just dragging the .bkf file into it or do i need to manually shift my files?
OS is XP home.

thanks!

Edited by kewellfan7, 15 June 2007 - 08:47 AM.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
You can move around a .bkf to wherever you need it to be. Just point to the new location if you need to restore it. But you should be fine by moving it off.

kewellfan7

kewellfan7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
so(sorry to be a noob) but i can restore the bkf from the removable drive?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
No worries, we all dont know anything about something!

Yes you can. I personally use a multiple USB disk rotating system. One week disk A gets all the backups then that goes to offsite storage, and disk B comes back for a week and it keeps rotating.

Thats a little overkill for a home user but the moral is you can restore from a usb drive.

The other thing you can do is just when you do the backup tell it to save on the drive from the beginning, that will save you the copy step, one less thing to go wrong.

Edited by jaxisland, 15 June 2007 - 09:35 AM.

kewellfan7

kewellfan7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
okay. gotcha. thanks!

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Your welcome :whistling: