Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Socket is my Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

joesquire

joesquire

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hi i was just wondering what socket is my motherboard?
I have an Intel Celeron 598 MHz CPU.
Also what other CPUs can i upgrade this to?
Thanks

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If your computer is a pre-built such as a Dell or HP computer then just report the make and model # of your PC. If it is a custom build then download Everest Home here: Everest. Report your motherboard typer listed under "Summary".

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hi im don't understand what i wa smeant to do, i think ive done it though, ive made a summary report though and under motherboard it has:
Motherboard:

CPU Type Intel Celeron, 600 MHz (9 x 67)
Motherboard Name TriGem Pinole
Motherboard Chipset Intel Whitney i810
System Memory 320 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (09/17/01)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

But i can't find where it says what socket it is

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I think the Celeron 600mhz is socket 370, which is very old.

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
yeah that figures, this computer was made out of spares

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
Try the utility called Belarc.... it will tell you all you need to know about your system...

http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html

Pasted from the web site description:

The Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, missing Microsoft hotfixes, anti-virus status, CIS (Center for Internet Security) benchmarks, and displays the results in your Web browser. All of your PC profile information is kept private on your PC and is not sent to any web server.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Socket 370 is correct. It won't be worth the money to upgrade unless you upgraded the board too. This in turn will probably require upgraded RAM.

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
what processors could i put into it? i might be able to find a cheap 1
also, if i put, say 1gb ram in, would it make a big difference?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You could only put other Celeron CPUs on that board. They don't sell processors that fit that socket anymore. You would have to find one used and it would not be a significant difference to be worth the trouble.

Adding RAM depending on how much you have now and what OS you are running you could see a noticable performance increase. Everything is going to bottleneck at your CPU though.

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
well i can get a 1.2ghz celeron, for about £10 theres 320mb in ram at the moment (256 and 64)
and xp is running on it

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I found some info one it so I'll have to edit my post here. It says it's a 100 or 133fsb and you can use processors up to about 1ghz, depending on type. However I do know that there was some variation in these boards so you might have to try it. There were millions of the smaller trigem boards made for small computers.

Edited by Tyger, 16 June 2007 - 08:44 PM.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I think is more important at this stage to get more ram . The thing is that sdram is not cheep it gets pretty expensive these days and you need to make sure that it is compatible. Some memory is not compatible so for example if you buy 256 the MB will only recognize 128. so check before you purchase.
Good luck with finding a cpu.