Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

multifunction printer (HP 5610) and my network

• Please log in to reply

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I have a HP 5610 I want to use on my wired/wireless network. I have heard that the bi-directional communication needed by multifunction printers is a problem for many print servers. Anyone have a multifunction printer working on their network with full functionality? I haven't found a network print server known to work with the 5610. Is there anyone doing this successfully? With what equipment? I don't need it to be a wireless server.
Thanks

Edited by delawaredrew, 16 June 2007 - 12:00 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have a Brother MFC-240C connected to one computer and shared onto my network, but I can only fax/scan using the original computer. I can print to it from any computer on the network. Are you trying to be able to use it to scan with any computer as well?

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
It is not hooked to any comp now. I was hoping to find a stand alone print server to eliminate that need, as I have three XP laptops for roaming in the house but no modern desktop to hook it to. I do little scanning, and it's copy feature works without a comp.
If I can get a server to successfully print from any of the laptops that would really satisfy most of my needs. I could always hook a laptop to it if I needed to scan.
I was looking at something like thisLinksys PSUS4

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah that looks awesome, I wouldn't mind something like that myself, but because I've only got two computers (not wireless) on the network, the way mine is setup works good for me.

I might also suggest looking at the different brands available that offer the same type of device, as you might find a different one (example: d-link) that is cheaper and does the same thing, or maybe for a couple of dollars more it supports USB 2.0 instead of only 1.1, or you know...

And to tell you the truth, I've never tried to scan with my other computer, I should try it... I was just thinking that the print server might be able to do it...

Oh well, hope I've been even just a little bit helpful!!! :whistling: