Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple monitors problem

• Please log in to reply

Maelspike

Maelspike

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well, putting it simply: I've got a laptop (NEC Versa) and my parents have a pc with a monitor, but the pc is currently not in working order, so the monitor is free to use. Now that seems like a wonderful opportunity to plug it into my computer and temporarily increase the size and quality of my working screen. Only, my laptop won't let me set the primary monitor to the pc monitor - all I can do is extend my desktop onto it.
I used to do it all the time, until an annoying virus hit my laptop and I ran a complete system reinstall. I had to download all chipsets and codecs and drivers and whatnot again after that, an since this is the first time that I've tried to use the multiple monitors feature since then, perhaps I've missed a driver or whatnot? Google didn't prove quite so helpful this time, so I don't know... Any ideas? Anyone?
Thanks in advance :whistling:

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Go into device manager.

Go to start.
Click on run.
Type in devmgmt.msc

Do you see any ? ! or X.

Maelspike

Maelspike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Only under Other Devices. The "biometric coprocessor" has an !, but I always assumed that to be for the fingerprint recognition feature.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
For display adapters does it show the correct drivers?

When you go into display properties under settings does it show a picture of 2 screens?

Maelspike

Maelspike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yup, display adaptors shows correct drivers... And settings shows two screens - only the "primary" option when I right-click on screen 2 is greyed out.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Screen 2 on my portable computer does not have a option of primary display.

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Check with NEC for any drivers you may have missed. I've worked on a Sony laptop with a similar issue, and it turned out you had to use the Right-click menu on the desktop to change the screen output--It was something to do with the Intel graphics adapter if I remember right.