Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer don't turn off

• Please log in to reply

I'm A Guitarist :D

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Win XP service pack 2 don't turn off :/

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
What do you mean windows SP2 won't turn off? Uninstall it from the add/remove programs if that's what you want to do [I wouldn't suggest this] but if that's what you need to do go for it.

If the PC won't switch off, then i think the experts will need more details, or else just press the power button on your PC for 4 seconds and it will turn off immediately [to be used only in emergency]

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry about the detail, the computer wont turn off. The only icon on the taskbar is the speaker

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
so you press the start button >>> shut down >>> the computer tries to shut down but ends up freezing with only a speaker in your taskbar?

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No it just has the speaker there. But i can do anything else i want. If i want i cn open the stuff on the tasbar i had before again like NAV 2005, i can open it and it goes back etc.

Edited by I'm A Guitarist :D, 17 June 2007 - 12:33 PM.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
So then why are you having a problem shutting down the PC? It should shut down if you try to shut it down with no problems. Not sure I get what you are trying to do or what the real problem is here :whistling:

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
What happeneds is, i want the computer turned off. The computer closes the programs but not the computer :/

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Does a screen come up that says 'end program'? or any other screen?

Also what pc is it? which version of windows/other operatins system are you using?

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It dont say anything

I am not using another operating system

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Press and hold your power button for 10seconds, when the fans switch off, you computer is off.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I heard about this way ages ago, but i want it normal

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Well with the info you have given me, i was not sure if this was the first time, or what OS you we're using, sometimes a simple reboot fixes certain issues, i am also speaking from what I have gone through, other than that, i am unable to help you.

Perhaps you should wait for someone more experienced to reply :-)