Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting Hard Drive Problem?

• Please log in to reply

Xx8aznflipboi5xX

Xx8aznflipboi5xX

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have two Hard Drives C; and J; first of all i put J as the slave and C as the master and then i cloned C; into J; but now i want to wipe J clean and remove everything from it but when i try to format Drive J a message pops up saying close all utilities that this drive is using. i have closed everything but still same message pops up I haven't reboot my computer since i first put in Drive J (which was last night) and im running my computer off of C;. Any suggestions on erasing?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If you are trying to format drive J from within Windows, you might have better luck if you delete that partition using FDISK when Windows is not running. This involves booting into DOS from a Windows 95 or Windows 98 startup floppy disk (you can create one by downloading the creation file from http://www.bootdisk.com). Boot from it, start FDISK which is on the floppy, select the appropriate drive, choose the option to delete "Non-DOS partition" if it is an NTFS one. Now create a new partition with FDISK. Remove floppy. Restart Windows, format the new partition using the Windows computer management tools.