Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RPC Error

• Please log in to reply

sine

sine

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey geeks to go, I have recently run into a problem when connecting a laptop to my workplaces' server. It has a domain that I am trying to join in order to log into this server, however whenever I do it, I get the error message: The RPC server is unavailable. I know that it is going through the authentication stages because if I enter a wrong user name and password it will reject it, so I know I'm connecting to the server.

On my last computer, I was able to connect to the network by typing ipconfig /registerdns and then I was able to join the domain after restarting. However on this computer, when I type that in, I get the error message "The system cannot find the file specified: Refreshing DNS Names."

I made sure that RPC services are on, I connect through a static IP, the DNS addresses of both servers are correct and should work. I'm stumped. :blink:

BTW server is running Windows NT, workstation is running Windows 2000 professional.

-edit fixed a typo from RCP to RPC :whistling:

Edited by sine, 18 June 2007 - 11:06 AM.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
are there any event id's in the event viewer? that would help. try setting the rpc locater to manual in your admin tools services. normally this has worked>>>> 1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. In the Properties dialog box, click the Computer Name tab.

If the DNS suffix of the computer name does not match the domain name, there is a disjoint namespace. The following three examples illustrate disjoint namespaces:• Full computer name: dc01.fabrikam.com
Domain: contoso.com
• Full computer name: dc01.corp.contoso.com
• Full computer name: dc01
Alternatively, you can use the Netdiag.exe command-line tool to verify whether there is a disjoint namespace. If the DNS suffix in the DNS host name does not match the DNS domain name in Netdiag, there is a disjoint namespace. The following three examples illustrate disjoint namespaces:• DNS Host Name: dc01.fabrikam.com
DNS Domain Name: contoso.com
• DNS Host Name: dc01.corp.contoso.com
• DNS Host Name: dc01

sine

sine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The locator was set to manual, I checked the DNS names and they all checked out. The problem was actually our massive amounts of security, so I had to update the security options under local policies and lower that a little bit to allow more communications between the server and the PC.