Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB ports malfunctioning

• Please log in to reply

psychocheesemaster

psychocheesemaster

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok...I have an issue with my USB ports working. The only two that work with peripheral devices are the two of the five on the back pannel of the tower ( the front two do not respond either).

I have reinstalled the drivers for the ports, and I also checked the device manager, and eveything there looks normal... And have also checked the BIOS.

Another odd thing is that my flash drive will work on any USB port I plug it into. I have no idea what is going on!!!

Please help.

Cheese

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Probably a power issue. Some devices draw their power from the USB port rather than from mains supply. If you are using any such devices this could be the cause of your problem since the total power available from these ports (in terms of amps) is very limited. Flash drives need only a very small amount of power which is why a flash drive works in all your USB ports. That's why I believe it's an insufficient power supply problem.
You can work round this by plugging in a powered USB hub into one of the USB ports on your PC. Plug the hub into a mains socket, then plug your troublesome USB devices into the hub.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
You should get a usb hub with an external power device. It is not really more expensive but it will supply the power needed for usb devices that need a bit more power.
Don't forget to connect the hub to the back usb ports since they tend to work better as you posted.