Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lock Screen Utility

• Please log in to reply

Malikorx

Malikorx

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I'm looking for a utility that will make it so that I can lock the screen or desktop. I have files that are being downloaded and also files that I do now want people to have access to. I want my computer to still be downloading these files and have my security software still be monitoring my computer while the desktop is locked. I have heard of software that does this and makes it necessary to enter a password to unlock it. What is a very simple program that will allow my computer to still be fully functional while still making it impossible for people to gain access to files and resources?

Advertisements

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Malikorx,

Well it just might help if you were to edit this post and stick in some information about what kind of an operating system you're using Boo.

Like I'm running Windows XP SP2. To do what you want to do I have to push that little windows button on my keyboard and hit the letter 'L' while I'm holding it down. That locks my user account and tosses up the start screen for me.

And as Windows XP can have more than one user and each user has to have a password [if they set it] then anyone who comes along after I lock it like that or after my screen saver sets, has to have their own account and password or they don't get on my pc.

You might want to make sure that the Master Admin account in safe mode is password protected too, that is if you're running Windows XP.

I also password protected my BIOS to help keep nosey people out of my system.

Good luck.

Wendy

Edited by wendy k. walker, 19 June 2007 - 05:57 PM.

Malikorx

Malikorx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Well I am running Windows XP SP2 and I have a password on the Master Admin account and my BIOS. I just wasn't sure if using the Windows key and pressing L would still allow internet downloads to continue while being locked.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Sure does :whistling: It just hides everything from your eyes, unless you have a password. Technically, you're not logging off, you're using the Switch User feature.