Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hot in here

• Please log in to reply

number.9

number.9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So a new psu, this one is 600w i hope it will do.
http://www.spirecool....asp?ProdID=581
When I got the G-Force 8800 GTS, I also bought the Spire Zeno 500W.
The XFX company that deliverd me the 8800GTS and told me that I needed a minimum of 450W so I guessed that 500W would do.
But what should I tell the company where I bought the Spire Zeno 500W?
That I bought it becource I needed it for my Graphic Card (I told them that in the beginning, and they told me that this one would do) But this one isn't delivering enough ... ... ?
So therefore I need the 600W edition.
Something like that?

I also found this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem
For cooling hdd, but it would be nice if something existed to put in the bay above my cardreader wich is 100mm x 2.4mm.
maybe I could only fit 4x a 25mm fan, don't know if this would make things better.

glen_m_32 I hope you can make some pictures of you scaleo T, so I can see how you did things, and yes I have the scaleo P with the original heatsink fan on the cpu.

Also my question about cutting out the metal circle holes frame between the fan (front and rear) would this result in a better airflow?

Edited by number.9, 22 June 2007 - 05:26 AM.

Advertisements

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Air flow is so hard predict even if there is a wire in the way it wil effect the whole dynamics of a system. Best thing to do is upgrade your heat sink to a quieter and better (generally copper) heat sink. i would recommend this heatsink

try tidying up all your cables, i haven't got round to that bit yet. that might help. Once we have done that we will look at your air flow!
tel me your temps once we have cleaned it all up and replaced your heatsink!

Thanks

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Never mind what I said about the PSU, I'm staying up to late, that PSU will barly get by for the GTS, I thought you had the GTX.
Everything there in your case is normal, the GPU is a little higher then normal try pulling the cables out of your GPU and reinserting them, there have been issues where the cables wern't plugged in fully causing the fan to run 1/4 of the speed, thus having it run at higher temps.
I highly recommend you don't buy computer parts from ebay.
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 June 2007 - 02:36 PM.

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
James_8970, thanks for your input, its always helpfull :whistling: you certainly know your stuff.

number.9, please can you update us on exactly where you are on our steps to cooling! try all of my advicce and more importantly reconnect the GPU like James_8970 mentioned.

number.9

number.9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So where where we.
I hope that glen_m_32 is able to post some pictures of your pc today.

Now the only truble I'm having is that Core0 and Core1 still keep going to temps of 54C but CPU isn't getting much above 49C wich is a better improvement probably becourse I placed the fan at the front with the 3 little air intake holes.

About the PSU I'm glad that it is just enough for my setup, I just bought it the same time as my GTS 8800 xXx 640 but I couldn't probably go back to the store and switch it for an better one, I probably had to sell the old PSU somewhere first.

I think I'll buy the CPU fan heatsink today that was recommanded by glen_m_32.
I hope thist should take care of the Core overheating problems.

Also glen_m_32 could you give me a setting of your temperatures during load.

And would these 25mm fan's in the bay above the cardreader still be any good for a little more cold air from the front intake?
On the link I gave in my previously reply

Thanks for all your help this far :whistling:

Edited by number.9, 25 June 2007 - 02:34 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

About the PSU I'm glad that it is just enough for my setup, I just bought it the same time as my GTS 8800 xXx 640 but I couldn't probably go back to the store and switch it for an better one, I probably had to sell the old PSU somewhere first.

I strongly recommend that you go back to the store (or call them) and ask them about it, be very polite. I have had to "exchange" a few items in my time, and I'm firm on what I need and polite about it, usually I can get a really good deal by trading in the "not-quite-good-enough-for-me" item and buying a better one. Sure I spent a little extra overall, but it's better than having to buy a whole new other one. Just a thought, especially because a more powerful and better quality PSU would give you more headroom in the future, and it's better to be on the safe side.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I was driving around the other night, and thought wait a minute. This card is a dual slot cooler, do you have the back of your case facing the wall? If this is the case turn it so the air can get out of the card not just be reflected back in.
Also, I'm just curious about something, could you take a look at what speed your core and memory is running at on your GPU.
James

Edited by james_8970, 25 June 2007 - 12:54 PM.

number.9

number.9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The pc is 20 cm off the wall but there are a lot of wires 10 cm off the wall.
But the pc is not in an enclosed space so it should be able to breath normal.
If you tell me how to find the speed of the cpu and the core on the gpu I'll be able to tell it, right now I don't now where to find it.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I have a ATI card, though it should still be similar. Look on the tool bar at the bottom right and double click the Nvidia icon. Then there should be something like specifications which will list what frequency your GPU is running at.
James

number.9

number.9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
james_8970 I checked possible nvidea options to find GPU Frequency but I couldn't find it, maybe there is an other way to find it?

So I took glen_m_32 advice and bought the cpu cooler that he had suggested.
I got it yesterday and took me 1 and a half hour to install, It was a lot of work for me.
My old heatsink cpu cooler was attached to the moderboard by screws, but this new one had to be attached by clips.
There for I had to take my motherboard out (wich I had never ever done before so quite some much more experiance for me) becourse behind the board there was a metal frame wich hold the screws from the cpu cooler.
Also as you can see my case is quite small so I had a lot of trouble to get the wires out of the way of the cpu fan.
I'll try to find some other ways to fix the cables but much more improvement I can't get.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then when I got my pc up and running again I did the load test by converting a video file wich I also did with the previous tests and as you can see there is not much improvement.

Posted Image

The only thing I can think of right now is that there isn't enough cool air intake from the front (the rear fan can be manually changed to 3800RPM) so maybe it would help to buy 4x 25mm fans and place it above the card reader bay.

I tryed the first time with the new cpu fan with an open case and it was during load 5C cooler than before with the case opened.

Advertisements

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
i wonder if the core 0 and core 1 is the north and southbridge. maybe someonce else could shed some light on it!

i'm surprised the new heatsink did not make a massive difference. but the cpu is at v good temp now. i think the next step is to add the biggest fan you can fit to the front of the case! and let the holes on the side balance your pressure!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Or get a new case? If these cases are known for their poor cooling abilities, is it worth continuing to spend money on this? Might it not be worth upgrading to an ATX case (and motherboard), if you're planning on spending money to get this right? Just think about how much you can budget to get this one right, then it might be worth it. Just another thought. And don't think that what you've done already has been wasted if you choose this path, you've got some good stuff there...

Just another thought, anyone else have comments on this?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Or get a new case? If these cases are known for their poor cooling abilities, is it worth continuing to spend money on this? Might it not be worth upgrading to an ATX case (and motherboard), if you're planning on spending money to get this right? Just think about how much you can budget to get this one right, then it might be worth it. Just another thought. And don't think that what you've done already has been wasted if you choose this path, you've got some good stuff there...

Just another thought, anyone else have comments on this?

I`m not convinced that would fix anything. The core0 and core1 is the north and south bridge I`m pretty sure as well, and seeing as they are heat pipes they will hover around that temperature most likely and there is little you can do about this. Now that I realize those temperatures for your GPU are load there isn`t anything to worry about. Everything is more or less where it should be temperature wise, these graphics cards just get hot. As for the cables give us a close up on the ends and we should be able to tell you what they are for.

James

Edited by james_8970, 27 June 2007 - 11:14 PM.