Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unique Problem

• Please log in to reply

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
i was given a computer for free.

a desktop computer from a school. as a donation to my workplace and my boss gave it to me.

as you all know school computers have special restrictions when logged in as a student.

cant reformat, cant windows restore etc.

i cant log into admin because they never gave me the PW

is there a way i can get into admin or reformat this comp?

im stuck with these stupid restrictions :whistling:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What you can do for free is install a version of desktop Linux, I'm on PCLinuxOS myself right now and it's very easy to install and to use. You download an .iso file, there are several ways of downloading and several download sites, and you burn it to CD as an image. Choose to use the entire drive to get the full use of the drive. You need at least 256mb or memory and a 500mhz processor for it to run well. You set your BIOS to boot from CD and it loads as a live CD so you can check how compatible it is with your system.

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
is there anyway i can get access to the admin pw? i dont really like linux =\

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

is there anyway i can get access to the admin pw? i dont really like linux =\

Only is the school is kind enough to give it to you. What you might do is ask if they have a disk you can use to reinstall. Is there a product key sticker on the machine?

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
yes there is a key sticker on the comp.

UBER

UBER

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
You could delete your current partitions using something like Super FDisk, then reinstall Windows XP (assuming that is what your using, but whatever version doesn't matter) on your blank HDD. Easy, Simple, And gets you non-restricted PC.

-UBER

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
thx UBER, so that'll work no matter what im using?