Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Shuts Off

• Please log in to reply

lokipi

lokipi

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello to anyone with a solution,

About 2 weeks ago my computer started to shut off automatically. This always happened when I played a game from shockwave.com that was downloaded or one from RealArcade. Anyway, today was the first time that my computer just shut off while playing music and I'm confused. Usually when this happens in other computers, an error message appears once you start Windows, but with me nothing happens and it just appears like nothing occurred. The computer does a disk check before I log on, but nothing seems to be out of order. No errors, nothing. I've scanned for viruses, malware, spyware, adware, etc and nothing. Actually me computer is only about 1 month old. I have no idea what is going on. Some say that it's my RAM but I have 1 GB of RAM and most games if not all need only half at the most. Any ideas?

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
are the airvents free of dust? sounds like it might be a overheating issue. start out by taking the side off buying some canned air and just give your pc some t l c by cleaning, making sure all cables, and installed cards are plugged in fans are spinning when powered up, that sort of thing, no excessive heat comming from your hard drive no glowing red chips on your circuit board :whistling: see if that helps....try reducing the graphics accelerator setting.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Actually it might be an idea to check with the manufacturer before you go taking the cover off, as you have mentioned it's only one month old (so it's pretty much a new computer, right?) and therefore probably under warranty. Taking the cover off may void the warranty if you have one.