Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Useing old Hard drives

• Please log in to reply

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I have a few old hard disks that were used allot. They r between 3-8 years old.
I need to run 3-4 older computers with xp and they will run a few applications. The computer will be running 8-12 hr a day.
The hard drives I have work fine now.
I was wondering if any one has any suggestion of witch ones will hopefully last longer.
Maxtor - 20 gig
Western Digital - 8 gig
Segate - 10 gig ,20 gig

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Asking the length of time a hard drive that a hard drive will last is akin to asking how long is a piece of string.

Most hard drives in normal service will last, from new, on average about 3-5yrs, with some drives lasting longer, others not lasting five minutes.
Therefore the answer to your question on older drives is, "who knows?" Anywhere from five minutes to four years is the correct answer.

vally

vally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Thanx
I'm looking for some experiance with old disks from these makes.
There is no warenty seince these r all over 6 yr old. (I checked again)
I have a good hard drive 83.5 with dos prgrams. They connect via rs232 to a few michanical motors for studying. The bios of mother boards for intel duo do not recognise the disk. connecting via usb is irelevent.