Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Did I fry my CPU?

• Please log in to reply

carlitozway57

carlitozway57

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Built a new system. Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Gigabyte S-series 965p-ds3 mobo
xfx geforce 8500gt
corsair 2x 1gb ddr2 800 mhz
soundblaster x-fi xtreme gamer
liteon 20x dvd burner
WD 320 gb sata 3.0 hd
500w psu

I'm pretty sure I installed the heatsink improperly at first. It was giving me [bleep] and the instructions were of little use. I got into BIOS and it froze. So I waited a few minutes, restarted, and made it into BIOS again and noticed the CPU temperature was at 40 and rapidly rising. It would hit around 65-67 before freezing. Without realizing what the issue was at that point, I kept restarting (maybe 4-5 more times) and it kept freezing to the point I wouldn't be able to make it into the BIOS.

So after leaving the computer alone for some time, I realized what had probably been occurring and decided to take everything apart and mess with the heatsink. I did some research and found that the heatsink for my E6600 was a bit notorious for being hard to install. After reading what had to be done to properly install it, I went ahead and did so. Loaded everything back up and made it into the BIOS with no problem. CPU temp was holding at 25.

The problem is now, the computer is acting as if the CPU was still overheating even in spite of the proper heatsink installation and CPU temp. It will lock up after 1-2 minutes of just idling in the BIOS. If I immediately restart, I won't even make it to the BIOS. If I wait 10 minutes, I can make it back into the BIOS before it locks up again after 1-2 minutes.

Did I fry my CPU? Should I try what it says in the sticky in this forum?

I'm not sure if it is relevant but the room in which I've built the machine is carpeted. I put the anti-static wrapper that the mobo comes wrapped in under it while working on it to try and prevent that from being an issue.

Edited by carlitozway57, 22 June 2007 - 03:00 PM.

Advertisements

carlitozway57

carlitozway57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So I decided that even though it would probably be a waste of time, I took the motherboard out of the case and tried to eliminate the possibility of it being a case short and it stopped locking up in the BIOS! So perhaps it was a coincidence that the heatsink was improperly stalled and it was freezing.

The case seems to always make some sort of contact with the motherboard. I'm going to try and try installing everything in a different case and see what happens. Thank you to whomever made that sticky. I will report back with any results.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Should I try what it says in the sticky in this forum?

Thank you to whomever made that sticky

How about a big hearty :blink: do what the sticky says! :whistling:

It can be tricky getting the motherboard in the case right, I'll be watching for your results...

carlitozway57

carlitozway57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So after that successful run outside of the case, I decided to buy a new/different case just to eliminate the case design as a potential hazard. Well, the same problem happened again! When outside of the case, I let it run a good 20 minutes without any freeze. This time it took about 3-4 minutes before it froze inside the case. I'm completely stumped. I can't really afford to bring it to anyone as I spent all my money on the [bleep] computer already.

I read that with metalized holes on the mobo there was no need for the washer thing that prevents the screw from direct contact with the mobo but I put those anyway only this last time. I only put them between the screw and mobo however, not between the strut things and the mobo. Is putting them/not putting them on metalized holes an issue?

Could the carpet in my room be an issue? I've run pc's in here before plenty of times but never built one in here.

Is it possible that the CPU fried even in spite of it working when outside of the case?

The reason I hadn't immediately done what the sticky said was because I assumed the CPU was fried and if that was the case, it wouldn't work in or outside the case. I'm glad I did but now I'm even more confused. What do I do? What could be it?

Edited by carlitozway57, 22 June 2007 - 12:32 AM.