Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

OjaiHills

OjaiHills

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello
I am new here. I just found this sight and realized right away I wanted to join! Now for my question... :tazz: I have sooo much "stuff" on my system. I don't know much about any of it. Just installed Norton Internet Security 2005. I just couldn't deal with McAfee anymore. Seems it was always interrupting what I was trying to do to advise me of something! Anyway, just to let you know I am a sucker for everything and have most of it on my system. Very embarrassing. I also have XP on my computer at work. It loads so fast I can hardly believe it. At home, I can start my computer, go make coffee, let the dogs out/in and still it isn't finished! Actually, came "out of the box" that way. I just wondered if someone out there can guide me through some process to delete what I don't need and help me get my system pristine? Please? Thank you all so much. Promise, if I can get this thing purring, I'll leave it alone! ;)

Advertisements

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Hi. When you say you're probably a sucker for everything, don't worry, you're not alone. What it sounds like is you probably have a lot of Spyware. I suggest that you download Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D. You can get both of these off of Download.com. Just do a search on both of them.

Another tip that may help was one I just recently picked up from "Easy XP Tweaks" by Smokey. You are able to free up some space and possibly have your computer running faster. Here is what you do:

1. Open up "My Computer"
2. Right-click on your hard drive (usually "C:") and choose "Properties"
3. Uncheck the box at the bottom that reads "Allow Indexing Service to..."
4. Click OK then the files will be removed from memory. This removal may take a few minutes to complete, but it's worth it.

You will also need to disable the indexing service here too:

1. Go to "Start", then "Run"
2. Type "services.msc" and press enter
3. Scroll-down to "Indexing Service" and double-click it
4. If the service status is "Running", then stop it by pressing the "Stop" button
5. To make sure this service doesn't run again, under "Startup Type:", choose "Disabled"

This information was found at http://www.geekstogo...eaks-t2780.html

OjaiHills

OjaiHills

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
;) Thank you friedpoodle ( ouch! ;) )! I will definitely give your "Easy XP Tweaks" by Smokey a try. I have AdWareSpy, SpySweeper, 3B AdBlockerPro, the silly AOL Spyware Protection and PCBugDoctor on my system. Do you think Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D are better? If so I'll give them a try too. Heck...like I said previously, I have so much "stuff" installed already! What's a few more. It REALLY is embarrassing. But, I'm trying to get better! :tazz:

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D are definately the most solid Spyware protection programs out there and are definately worth your time. Maybe you could get rid of some of your other programs. The two that I mentioned are really the only ones you need.

OjaiHills

OjaiHills

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
;) Okay...will do. I'll let you know how things improve later! Time for dinner and horse chores! :tazz:

jdm

jdm

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

;) Thank you friedpoodle ( ouch! ;)  )!  I will definitely give your "Easy XP Tweaks" by Smokey a try.  I have AdWareSpy, SpySweeper, 3B AdBlockerPro, the silly AOL Spyware Protection and PCBugDoctor on my system.  Do you think Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D are better?  If so I'll give them a try too.  Heck...like I said previously, I have so much "stuff" installed already!  What's a few more.  It REALLY is embarrassing.  But, I'm trying to get better! :tazz:

View Post

Yes, you need Ad-Aware and Spybot, but also keep Spysweeper. I use all three and Spysweeper finds crap that Ad-Aware and Spybot miss.

Jeff