Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stand by

• Please log in to reply

shadystight08

shadystight08

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I did a whole system recovery on my computer and for some reason my computer still randomly turns on only when it is on stand by. What could it possibly be?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Quot: "my computer still randomly turns on only when it is on stand by". Could you elaborate please. I am not sure I understand what the problem is.

shadystight08

shadystight08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
When I have the computer on standby it randomly turns on. I'll put it on standby and come back home and my computer is on.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Is Standby enabled in windows? Go to control panel > power options. In "power scheme" choose a value for Standby

2: Is Standby enabled in the BIOS? Enter BIOS, look for "power management" or something of this nature. If Standby option is available enable it.

shadystight08

shadystight08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I don't understand the first option you are saying. I went to power options and it says that it will never automatically go on standby, if thats what you are talking about. And I can't find this BIOS.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In power options > power sheme, go to the Satandby line and click on the arrow on the right of the line. A menu with many time options will open up. Choose, say, 20 minutes. Click Apply and then OK. This will cause the computer to go automatically into Standby mode 20 minutes after you stop working on the computer.