Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

router does not work with any wired connection

• Please log in to reply

mequestion

mequestion

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi. Have posted about this problem about a week or so ago.
Have more info now.

Through substitution and lots of trial and error, I find that my router will not work with a wired connection, regardless of which computer , cables etc it is connected to. All computers work fine through wireless, or via bypassing the router. Have tried brand new cables, different ports etc. Have been over and over the network connection settings, networking wizard, internet connection. Everything.
The router drivers are up to date, has been reset to default. The indicator lamps on router show connection, as does the computer, (little exclaimation point turns to red X) IP address keeps showing as 169.xxxxx. (on all computers when connected via lan) DCHP is enabled on the router and all computers.

Connecting 2 computers via the cable at the same time results in neither one of them connecting also. All computers will also connect through the usb port on the rca cable modem.

Basically, I feel I either have a bad router, or have missed some very simple setting or something. The one constant of testing, substituting, retesting is that I cannot get the wired connection to work. period.

One other little fact, which makes me suspect bad router: Occasionally the connection will just start working again out of the clear blue, without me having done a thing. It stops just as mysteriously.

Before I go buy a new router, is there anything I should look further into, or perhaps a way to further test/troubleshoot the router?

The router is d-link 713p. I am on cable broadband. 2 of the computers are XP, one ME.

Oh, lastly, any wirless/router recommendations should I need a new one?

Edited by mequestion, 23 June 2007 - 01:18 AM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi mequestion,

I'd have to agree with you that this is looking like a faulty router issue. However, to ensure that you're taking the appropriate steps in setting up your Wired LAN, please follow SpaceCowboy's Networking turorial located here.

Please do the following when:
(a) Connected via wires; and
(b) Connected via wireless.
  • Goto Start -> Run -> Type CMD -> Press <Enter>.
  • In the command prompt window, type: ipconfig /all
  • You can copy/paste the results by right-clicking on the command prompt window, selecting Select All and then press the <Enter> key. This will copy it to your clipboard, allowing you to paste it here.
Like I said, it looks to me like you've thoroughly tested this issue and all fingers are pointing towards faulty router, but my time is free and can't hurt :whistling:

- Dan

mequestion

mequestion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Alrighty, here ya go...

Why is it showing "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 10:" BTW?

During this aggravation I have seen the count climb... Started out just "..connection", then #1, 2 etc... Could that be the problem?
(totally lost here...)

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Von_R
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 10:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-D8-8E-62-E5
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.90.192
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner>

mequestion

mequestion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
OK, back again with more info and more stupid questions.

I have broken out a DLink ebr-2310, connected the normally wired pc/unit through it. Works perfect. On it now. So bad wired part of the 713p router it seems for sure.

I have tried to cascade or loop through (whatever) to my wireless router, (temporarily for a few days til I get a new wireless)

I have assigned static IP, the 2 wireless pc s are "talking" to the 713p router. I can access it On the 713p wireless router, the 2 indicator lamps show linked, no data according to the maual.

Can't find the info. What do I do to get the 2 routers "talking". Have disabled dhcp on both routers, btw.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
First of all, you will need to write down the IP address of the wired router. Now, you will need to connect to the Wireless router's configuration page and manually assign it an IP within the same subnet as the Wired router (eg, if the wired router has the IP [192.168.1.1] then you could assign the Wireless router an IP [192.168.1.200]). You will also need to ensure that the Wireless computer does not have DHCP enabled -- you may also opt to disable many of the filters for this router, as it will simply be acting as a switch. The Wired router should have DHCP enabled (else you may opt to assign all of the IP's statically). You may then connect the two routers using an Ethernet cable, by plugging the cable into an Ethernet/LAN port on each of the routers. Once you have done all of this, the two routers should be communicating (unless the Wireless router's ports hinder the process) and both the wired and wireless PC's should receive IP's within the same range / from the same router.

mequestion

mequestion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi again.
Just wanted to say thanks for the help.

The router's wired portion has just plain gone bad. I can even get the 2 wireless ones talking when all hooked up and configured, but nothing at all with lan ports.

I have learned alot, albeit dubiously.

Thanks again.