Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

email attachments won't forword

• Please log in to reply

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
HI
We got rid of Windows 98 and the computer. New computer Windows XP now.
We have a problem with email and attachments. We can't seem to send them. If we get an email with an attachment, we can't add to it and send it on. If we try to send an attachment from our computer , like a photo we took, it goes out just fine.
We have a Dell 8400 Dimension
Thanks in advance
Paul

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi dakotapicker!

We'll need additional information to assist you with this issue.

1. What email client are you using? or do you check your email on the web?

2. What type of email account do you have?

3. Do you get any error messages associated with this?

4. Does the email get to the recipient with the attachment or does the email not arrive at all?

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi
We have Outlook Express and use Internet Explore, We are NOT getting any error message. The text is getting there ,but the people get a box with a red X in the top left corner instead of the flower pics etc.
If I send a pic that I have taken and send as an attchment , it goes just fine.
The pictures not getting out, are the forwords we get from someone else and we just try to send it on.
I hope this helps, if not I will try to give you what you need to get rid of this problem.
Thanks
Paul

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I just tried something and it worked. I started to forword and went up to "message" and clicked on "forword as attachment". It worked, my guess we will have to do this with every forword we forword. There must be a better way.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi dakotapicker. I apologize for the delay in responding. See these two links for additional information on the "Red X" problem.

http://discuss.pcmag...2/ShowPost.aspx

http://www.pcmag.com...,1568850,00.asp

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
The info seems to say the prlem is with people we send to. All was working fine and then all of a sudden it wasn't.
I didn't have to go up to "message" and then "forword as attachment" to get the pics to go with the text.
We must have done somenting here that made the change. We are still at step one.
Thanks for the help.
Paul

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Actually, both of the links I provided deal with the "red x" issue from different perspectives - one from the recipient end and one from the sender's. Both however, explain that the problem is at the sender's end in the mail settings.

Here's one more link that helps explain it: http://www.infopacke...ress_part_2.htm

In Outlook Express 6, click Tools, Options, Send tab. Notice the Mail Send Settings section. Be sure HTML format is selected, then click the HTML settings button and confirm that Send Picture with Mail is selected.

You said the problem just started one day. Do you recall what you might have done on your system just prior to the problem starting? Did you install anything new, update software, etc.? Or has this problem existed from day one on the Windows XP computer?

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
We got a new computer last fall and it has worked perfect. Sometimes when we startup in the AM, we get an auto update download update. Don't know what it is for.
I will try your idea and check the HTML setting.
Thanks
Paul

ps I just did what you said and "send pictures with email" was NOT checked, it is now, so we will give it a try.
Will let you know what happens.

Edited by dakotapicker, 27 June 2007 - 05:57 PM.

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Now I am getting a message when I click send, " one or more pictures may not be sent. do you want send message"
yes-no
I have ALL the pictures on our screen. When I send, they get one or fewer pics than what I sent.

I don't know what happend, but this is really messed up.

It must be a click we made and didn't know we made it, because it started so sudden.

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
If you would give an email address I will send one of the forwaords we got. Puppy /kitten pics. When I sent it to our MSN address, 3 or 4 pics out of 8 were blank, with just the X in the box.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
See MS Article 843018 for more information.

Also, look at this link for other troubleshooting tips, including creating a new identlty and instructions (via a link) for repairing Outlook Express. Please go down the list and be sure you do each one.

And you haven't changed antivirus software recently?

Is there anything else at all you can think of that might have happened on your system around the time you started having these issues with attachments?

Is there any pattern to which pictures get stripped?

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Linda
We have not added or taken away any programs. We have a anti- Virus, Max Registry cleaner , Spywarebot,and CC. All have been on the compuiter from new. Recieving the pictures is not the problem, they come in and open just fine. It is forwording them that is the problem. The pictures I take go out just fine also. Just "forwording" is the problem.
I will go back now and check out your web sites.
Thanks
Paul

Edited by dakotapicker, 01 July 2007 - 09:24 AM.

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
We have tried various links, but no results yet. The problem lies not in us inserting a picture-it is when people forward an email to us with pictures in it. Then when we forward the email/pictures on to others, they let us know if the pictures didn't show up. One person will make a comment that the pictures were cute or whatever, another will say they got the text, but no pictures. We've tried forward, forwarding as an attachment, using the little icon person which you click on to forward, etc. Sometimes the same thing happens with us receiving forwards. Sometimes we get the pictures just fine-sometimes the box is blank with a little red "x" up in the picture box corner. This can be quite frustrating.
Thanks for any suggestions,
Paul

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi dakotapicker.

Are you saying that you might forward an email with pics to multiple people, and that some receive it fine while others do not?