Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build an upgradeable laptop from scratch?

• Please log in to reply

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey, I was just wondering if it would be possible to built a laptop from scratch, so that I can have a fully upgradeable laptop, just like my computer. I dont really know much about laptops so everything about them is new to me, I upgrade my PC often though so upgradeability is definately important.
Thanks
Oh and by from scratch, I mean like buying a COMPLETELY bare case, with monitor maybe? Ive seen supposed barebone laptops but they come with everything integrated.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Check this thread out: http://www.geekstogo...o...l&hl=laptop.

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hmm, I read it and it doesnt really seem to answer my question :S

My current desktop system is:

Nvidia SLI Motherboard
Nvidia 7800GT
AMD Athlon 3800+ X2
2 GB DDR RAM
130GB SATA Hard drive

Would there be any way of basically taking that and putting into a laptop, which I can upgrade as I see fit?

Thanks

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
No, laptop parts a different then desktop. The only thing that would be the same would be the hard drive. Building a laptop would be a major project. They don't sell "laptop cases" or laptop boards. They have very limited room to upgrade anyways. The laptop equivilent of a nice gaming desktop would cost nearly double the desktop.

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
[bleep], well thanks anyway, maybe Ill just have to go an take a look at a costly Alienware instead :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i once saw a page somewhere where a guy made a "laptop" from scratch...it wasn't so much a laptop as a very small mobile desktop with a fold up display...built it into an oldschool leather briefcase...it was really cool looking...but i think it ended up costing him alot more than just buying a laptop off the shelf....

actual laptop hardware doesn't come "upgradable" as far as the mobo and video cards...you can upgrade ram...maybe swap out a processor....but the main guts are always as integrated as possible...there's just not enough space to put in full sized expansion cards and keep them from burning up