Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xbox 360 can't find my PC

• Please log in to reply

networknoob

networknoob

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have done all of rmvanir steps up to the IE bit.....now i dont know why when i open the internet explorer my laptop freezes...so i cant do the active x thingy...someone help please

Advertisements

chernyakov

chernyakov

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I fought this forever, tried everything that was posted here and elsewhere, to no avail. I just could not get the XBOX to see the PC. I finally figured out what was going on after firing up wireshark (a network protocol analyzer) and staring at the packets going back and forth on the network card.

The problem is that Windows Media Player uses Windows uPNP, which broadcasts device availability from the first IP address it finds. So, suppose you have two network adapters - a wireless adapter and a wired adapter. If the wireless adapter is "unconnected" (not associated with an access point, or associated with an access point on a different network) then uPNP will use that IP address to broadcast device availability and the XBOX will never see it. You'll be able to connect to XBOX LIVE from the XBOX and the PC will be able to see the XBOX and ping the XBOX, but the XBOX will never see any of the uPNP device broadcasts from the PC.

So, to figure out if this is what's going on for you, if you have multiple adapters in your system, make sure that EVERY adapter is connected to the network (subnet) that the XBOX is on. In the wireless case, make sure that the XBOX network has a wireless access point and associate the wireless adapter on the laptop with that access point.

-Alex

heeyisforrhinos

heeyisforrhinos

• Pip
  • 1 posts
heey, i was having this same problem and couldnt find anything that could help me out but i think i may have found a solution!!! i really really hope this works cos i know how bad it sucks not being able to hear your music through your xbox. alright so this is what i did, ( i have windows Vista)

Start / Run... type: services.msc then OK

i looked up UPNP and then i right clicked to Properties. I made sure it was Automatic and then i restarted that setting. As soon as it finished restarting the icon for my xbox popped up. hope this works for you guys !! =)

sl88

sl88

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I too register just to thank rmvanir for his detail solution. In my case, just updating DRM through IE is enough. No need to delete the original DRM directory.

rmvanir thanks again.

jbergs

jbergs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
would anyone please like to send me a link to where i can download windows media center for free?

thanks

ndoe

ndoe

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey i had to register too just so say thanx!!! idk who you are but its like im at the end of the yellw brick road after walking for 8+ hours trying to find an answer

m33th34d

m33th34d

• Pip
  • 1 posts

To start...only do this if you have followed on of the steps for setting up Media Sharing in Windows XP for Windows Media Player 11. If you have done this and your XBOX 360 still cannot see your PC then proceed.

I don't know if this item was ever resolved, but I had the same issue on two different XBOX 360's at two different houses. The resolution was the same for both of them. The problem is that at some point the DRM database for Windows Media Player 11 gets corrupted on machines that have Windows XP. I have not determined if this problem happens on Vista. Without a valid DRM database the Windows Media Player sharing service cannot function properly. It will show as running in the Services menu, but it is not really working correctly. To find out if this may apply to you can look in the system error log.

CAUTION: This process will rebuild you DRM database. Please proceed at your own risk. I have not encountered this causing any issues but I've only done it on two machines so user beware....

After a fresh boot so you will have restarted the sharing service and have fresh log messages....
1. Left click on "Start"
2. Left click on "Control Panel"
3. Left click on "Administrative Tools"
4. Left click on "Event Viewer"
5. In the left side of the menu, left click on "System"
6. In the right pane look for red "X's". If you see one with "WMPNetworkService" then there's a good chance this applies to you.

To resolve.....
1. Left click on "Start"
2. Left click on "Run"
3. Type in "regedit" to open the Registry Editor. BE CAREFUL IN THE REGISTRY! We are not going to change anything, just look.
4. In the left pane navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DRM.
5. In the right pane left double-click on "DataPath"
6. The value you will see in the right column is the location of your DRM database. Typically its something like "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM". Remember this value.
7. Close the Registry Editor.

Due to some complications it is best to do the next piece in the DOS Shell
8. Left click on "Start"
9. Left click on "Run"
10. Type in "cmd" to open the DOS Shell
11. Type is "cd thevalueofthedatapathfromstep6abovewithouttheDRMpiece"....or using the value listed in step 6 as an example "cd C:\Documents and Settings\All Users"
12. Type "rmdir /S DRM"
13. Type "mkdir DRM"
14. Type "Exit" to close the DOS Shell

Now in Internet Explorer. Yes, it must be IE because an ActiveX control will be used next that only IE can handle. This will not work with Mozilla, etc....
15. Navigate to the website "http://drmlicense.on...en/indivit.asp"
16. Install the ActiveX control when prompted
17. An active "Upgrade" button should appear in the middle of the screen. Left click on it.
18. Follow the process to install.
18. Once complete, reboot the PC.
19. Once the PC is completely booted your XBOX 360 should now be able to see your PC.

Good Luck

yo dude i just want to say one thing. thanks i just spent 12 hours of my day trying to figure this out countless hours on the phone with belkin and xbox and my own personal time i put in.. in under 30 min with your directions i completed it and it is working...

one personal note i would like to add and might help some people get done quicker is after you install activex you need to go to tools then internet options then security and look threw all of the active x stuff enable everything other than the stuff that says not secure next to it. then reload the page that rmvanir gives you if the update button still doesn't work then restart your computer but book mark this page first so you can easily get back to it.. other than that i would never have solved this problem on my own and i greatly appreciate your help.

good luck to all!

follow his directions closely! i suggest read it all once then try going step by step. looks like that's 4 computers you have fixed now :)

ike tylor

ike tylor

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, so I HATE replying to these things but I DID get my XBox to connect to my PC and I'm very happy.

I tried RnR's procedure but when I got to the part where you have to
"5. In the right pane left double-click on "DataPath"
6. The value you will see in the right column is the location of your DRM database. Typically its something like "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM". Remember this value. "

I had a ton of values in the right column and non of them were location based. It was like the location was written in Binary Code.

SOOOOOOOOOO

I tried tversity.com This software was easy to install and FREE. It works!

I would suggest trying this software if you are still having the issue.

Quikfix

Quikfix

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have found a GREAT Fix to this issue! Instead of trying to go into your registry and such. I just downloaded TVersity. It's a FREE download. And after I added the selected folders I want to share my xbox 360 instantly reconized my computer. Ta da!!

http://tversity.com/

Like the above I had an issue with step 6 as well!! Not to clear for a nOOb like me lol.

Edited by Quikfix, 24 October 2009 - 06:57 PM.

solowingpixie

solowingpixie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey

I am running vista sp1 tried many things to sort this and have tried following the instructions to change the DRM...

when I log into the data file it gives me a binary code and not a specific path (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM) like is exampled in the previous post.. I have also tried changing the service log, now the computer recognizes there is an extendor though it still hasnt let me get past the second stage to verify the extender when in the media centre

any help would be good

Edited by solowingpixie, 31 October 2009 - 12:16 PM.

Advertisements

solowingpixie

solowingpixie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
guys you are fudgin stars.... been at this for hours and finally TVersity has done the trick.. Though Im still wanting to know why some of the data files contain a path and some including mine has binary values...

Also why can my xbox see tversity on my pc but not my pc itself?? These things are sent to boggle ma brain and I do need to know why as many of you do n all!!

Thanks Again

SmilinBob

SmilinBob

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hey guys, ive had the same issue for 2 weeks now... nearly drove me insane, But i have a solution that worked for me:

the whole time i thought it was a windows problem... i opened a ton of ports, installed/uninstalled disabled/re-enabled everything under the moon with no real results.. my xbox could only sometimes 'see' my PC, and half of that time it couldnt connect, so here is what i finally did..

i logged into my router ( Netgear WGR614V9 ) decided to look around in the uPNP section and figured since my xbox could only sometimes see my pc, i would set up the TTL (hops) from 4 (default) to 20 (max is 225). I havent had a problem since then... hope this helps someone.

Edit: 20 was just a random number i punched in on my router, setting the hops lower may work as well, but i havent tried anything lower than 20.

Edited by SmilinBob, 03 November 2009 - 04:15 PM.

DangerousRS

DangerousRS

• Pip
  • 1 posts

To start...only do this if you have followed on of the steps for setting up Media Sharing in Windows XP for Windows Media Player 11. If you have done this and your XBOX 360 still cannot see your PC then proceed.

I don't know if this item was ever resolved, but I had the same issue on two different XBOX 360's at two different houses. The resolution was the same for both of them. The problem is that at some point the DRM database for Windows Media Player 11 gets corrupted on machines that have Windows XP. I have not determined if this problem happens on Vista. Without a valid DRM database the Windows Media Player sharing service cannot function properly. It will show as running in the Services menu, but it is not really working correctly. To find out if this may apply to you can look in the system error log.

CAUTION: This process will rebuild you DRM database. Please proceed at your own risk. I have not encountered this causing any issues but I've only done it on two machines so user beware....

After a fresh boot so you will have restarted the sharing service and have fresh log messages....
1. Left click on "Start"
2. Left click on "Control Panel"
3. Left click on "Administrative Tools"
4. Left click on "Event Viewer"
5. In the left side of the menu, left click on "System"
6. In the right pane look for red "X's". If you see one with "WMPNetworkService" then there's a good chance this applies to you.

To resolve.....
1. Left click on "Start"
2. Left click on "Run"
3. Type in "regedit" to open the Registry Editor. BE CAREFUL IN THE REGISTRY! We are not going to change anything, just look.
4. In the left pane navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DRM.
5. In the right pane left double-click on "DataPath"
6. The value you will see in the right column is the location of your DRM database. Typically its something like "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM". Remember this value.
7. Close the Registry Editor.

Due to some complications it is best to do the next piece in the DOS Shell
8. Left click on "Start"
9. Left click on "Run"
10. Type in "cmd" to open the DOS Shell
11. Type is "cd thevalueofthedatapathfromstep6abovewithouttheDRMpiece"....or using the value listed in step 6 as an example "cd C:\Documents and Settings\All Users"
12. Type "rmdir /S DRM"
13. Type "mkdir DRM"
14. Type "Exit" to close the DOS Shell

Now in Internet Explorer. Yes, it must be IE because an ActiveX control will be used next that only IE can handle. This will not work with Mozilla, etc....
15. Navigate to the website "http://drmlicense.on...en/indivit.asp"
16. Install the ActiveX control when prompted
17. An active "Upgrade" button should appear in the middle of the screen. Left click on it.
18. Follow the process to install.
18. Once complete, reboot the PC.
19. Once the PC is completely booted your XBOX 360 should now be able to see your PC.

Good Luck

Finally, thank you rmvanir~~10000000 times

thanksgeeks

thanksgeeks

• Pip
  • 1 posts

heey, i was having this same problem and couldnt find anything that could help me out but i think i may have found a solution!!! i really really hope this works cos i know how bad it sucks not being able to hear your music through your xbox. alright so this is what i did, ( i have windows Vista)

Start / Run... type: services.msc then OK

i looked up UPNP and then i right clicked to Properties. I made sure it was Automatic and then i restarted that setting. As soon as it finished restarting the icon for my xbox popped up. hope this works for you guys !! =)

Thank God for this website!!!!!!!!! There are no other sites in the vastness of the internet with knowledgable people who could resolve the xbox/pc networking issue. After following the directions repeatedly to the T - I found that my hard wired xbox was not seeing my Vista pc, even though the pc could see the xbox as they were on the same network. I also, tried opened ports and spent hours trying to get this connection to work and it occasionally would - which is explained quite well above. Before downloading any software, I tried 'heyisforrhios' suggestion. AND IT WORKED! The only confusing thing for me was the start / run thing - at first I thought he was reffering to the DOS prompt was like old school command jargon, but on my Vista I did Start / and in the search typed in services.msc - now the quirky thing was it there were no visible results, so hit enter anyway. Sure enough the list popped up, I scrolled down to UPNP and was a little concerned cause it appeared to be working, however I went ahead and right clicked - it gives you the option to restart, I clicked it. Boom - there is my pc on the xbox. Thanks and I hope this is helpful for others as well.

Tripper511

Tripper511

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. I spent days trying to fix this exact issue. I followed all the steps on here and was on the phone with 2 different people on xbox 360 customer service for over 2 hours. Nothing worked. After all this, what fixed my problem was simply uninstalling windows media player 11 and reinstalling it. That solved everything. It deleted my old DRM folder and made a new one with new files inside. I feel so stupid that it took so long for me to come to such an easy solution.