Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vaio lappy COMPLETE LOCK-UP. need a bit of assistance

• Please log in to reply

innsaei

innsaei

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've hit a point of frustration with my VAIO. Out of nowhere (no new program installs, viruses, spyware, or registry changes) I would get a complete and utter lock up to the point where the only restart method was pulling out the battery. The freeze would occur about 10 minutes into usage each time and CPU and MEM usage would be at 100% spike with the fan running full throttle. There are no unusual noises from the HD unless laptop is resting at an unusual angle on my lap, and it's done that since brand new... as have other laptops of mine.
I did a scandisk (no problems), reformat, and reinstall of Windows.
I'm guessing this may be a RAM issue, but before I throw out wads of cash to replace the sticks, are there any suggestions out there? Hard drive issue I may be unaware of? fautly chipset? bad CPU? Simple software something or other?

Please help. I am computerless at the moment and the library PC depresses me.

Edited by innsaei, 24 June 2007 - 03:41 PM.

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I think I would start by blowing the dust out. It may be overheating:

http://www.informati...icleID=60300177

which model do you have?

http://www.ezlan.net/vaio.html

Edited by macten, 24 June 2007 - 05:25 PM.

innsaei

innsaei

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It's a V-505bx. I've cleaned what little dust was in the chasis, but I'll get a can of compressed air.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
How old is it? I've seen heat sinks on desktops completely clogged. I would make sure it's cleaned out. If it were mine, I would take it apart and make sure. You could spend several days troubleshooting hardware and get nowhere if it's plugged up with dust....