Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with my dog

• Please log in to reply

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well I have a Schnoodle that is 4 years old. When ever I go to school, we would always leave him in the house and would have no problems. Before I go to bed we always take him out and he will pee and poop. But all of the sudden for the last week or two, everytime I wake up, there is a mess in the lving room. Its everysingle day! We also can't leave him in the house anymore due to this fact since he is always leaving a mess there. My parents are saying they are going to sell him unless we don't solve this problem quickly. Some one please help me so we don't have to sell my dog!!!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Uh OH! I love dogs, don't sell it...

Can't you put a doggy door in?
Buy (or cheaply make) a kennel and he can stay outside?
Set your alarm for 1am and take him outside yourself (small price to pay, no?)

Other than that, I think you can buy stupid-looking nappies for the dogs, you might have to check it out...

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Suggest taking him to a vet for a check up. If no health problems, then start using Depends on the dog! :whistling:

Ron

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
When things like that start happening you should really take it to the vet i dont know how long a schnoodle lives but 4 years isnt old for most dogs and not old enough that they should be developing incontinance without being sick. Also be careful check what its eating in the house and outside perhaps switch to a better food for a while or make its food yourself.

Also give your parents at least a verbal slap you dont sell a dog because it does something you dont like or its sick its your responsibilty and its their responsibilty you dont ditch things when they get inconvenient.

Edited by warriorscot, 25 June 2007 - 05:39 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I would definitely suggest taking him to the vet. When a dog's bathroom habits suddenly change like that, when they had been following their training, could be an indication that there is something wrong. Also, has anything changed significantly in your household? New pets, change in routine, someone moving away, or anyrhing else? It could be a reaction to a change in its environment. In addition to checking the dog's health your vet could give you advice on how to retrain the dog.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I agree as everyone has suggested, make sure you take him to the vet for a check up. (Typically dogs will not just start going in the house unless they can’t help it so it might be an infection / medical problem i.e., bladder infection, prostate problem, worms etc.)

Be sure to follow any and all advice given be the vet if it’s medical. If you get the all clear from the vet it’s a training issue.

First you must get the smell out of the area…. Even if you can’t smell it the dog can! I have used Natures Miracle you can get it here use a generous amount on the spot/area and it does work.

Now this part your not going to like….

The dog will continue to go inside if there is no correction at the time of the offence. What this means is yelling at the dog the next morning when you find it does nothing. So you might have to say up a couple nights to catch him in the act make an immediate correction and take him out side.

Another possible solution would be Create Training, I have a 2 yr old chocolate lab and she loves her create. It helps keep her safe as well as helps protect your home when your out. You can find a good tutorial Here

Do let us know how it turns out… I love dogs and I will help/offer advice in anyway I can.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well I really aprreciate all of your replys!!! :whistling:
As soon as I am odne typing this I will go talk to my mom about taking my dog to the vet. I am nota vet expert, but I didn't think this all seemed right either. I borught byt hem taking him to the vet, but ther like nahh hes ok. But I will show them this thread to show how you all reccomend it!

From ruthandtroy if there is nothing medically wrong with him, I like your idea of a doggy door to like our garage! :blink:

To sari about our house habbits. Not really the schedule has been the same all year for my brother's and I school. I get up at 6, shower then take him out at 6 30. Feed him and I eat then go to school. Then my brother takes him out about7 30 or a little leater every day duing school. Now that its summer it will be a little different though. But this started happening during the school year.

warriorscot I highly doubt we will start making his food, but I will look into a new brand and kind. Also I like the verbal slap :help:
As for the life span, I found this Life span is approximately 9-15 years

BHowett, well we have some pet cleaner that cleans the carpet and gets out the stains, but my mom is still getting ticked off becuase he is ruining our carpet. That is why she wants him out! For the crate training, when we first got him that is how we trained him. He was also house trained so I don't konw whats going wrong right here. But will have to wait again and see what the vet says.

I thank you all again on replying!!!! This really means a lot to me cuz I really love my dog and don't want him to be sold!!!
I will keep you guys updated on everything!!!!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You get kind of attached to the [bleep] things, no matter what they do. If thats how long they live its not old age so definately a vet is the first stop if your parents suddenly became incontinent they would go to the doctor wouldnt they.

Food wise its not as hard as you think my mum does it on occasion for ours if she has left over food they eat much the same as us(except chocolate thatll kill em) all you need is vegatables(left overs work rice is a good one) and some cheap mince or meat i give my mum allot of jip for it(she spoils the thing) but the dog loves it and if you are in the US its worth trying with all the problems you are having over there with dog food being poisoned in the factory at least once or twice a week for a while the extra fibre you can put in it could help.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

if your parents suddenly became incontinent they would go to the doctor wouldnt they.

Nah don't bother just get new parents... :whistling:

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well I finnally convinced my parents into taking Harley(my dog) to the Vet. I will let you guys know what the vet says as soon as I know.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I'm glad they are taking him to the vet. For a dog that age to suddenly start going in the house....either it's a health problem, or he's upset/mad that he's being left at home :whistling: