Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection problems

• Please log in to reply

paige4

paige4

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Guys,
You've helped me out in the past - hoping I can fix this annoying problem!
I'm running windows xp sp2. I have a Netgear modem router DG834G which I have
been using with a normal wired ethernet connection. I recently bought a Netgear
usb wireless adaptor so I can use the laptop in other rooms.
The first 2 days I connected, everything was fine, I accessed the internet, no problems
strong 'excellent' signal and no disconnections. Switched laptop off as usual and go to bed!

Next morning switch laptop on and I get the wireless icons flashing between green
excellent signal - you are connected - to red you are not connected acquiring network
address? It then goes to green again, and changes back every 5 seconds!

I'm new to wireless set up, but followed everything on the cd to the letter.
It worked fine for first 2 days.
I tried checking the IP address with the command prompt and Ipconfig and it tells me
the adaptor IP address is 0.0.0.0. Is this the problem?

Netgear haven't been much help so far, they just mentioned things I'd already tried,
such as switching off modem, computer etc.
I have norton security & firewall, but disabled it to check, and it made no difference.

Hope someone can help :whistling:

Thanks in advance

Paige

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Paige,

First of all, could you please provide an ipconfig /all whilst you're connected via Ethernet (wired):
  • Goto Start -> Run -> Type CMD -> Press <Enter>.
  • In the command prompt window, type: ipconfig /all
  • You can copy/paste the results by right-clicking on the command prompt window, selecting Select All and then pressing the <Enter> key. This will copy it to your clipboard, allowing you to paste it here.
Once you have done that, please disconnect the Ethernet cable and attempt to connect via your Wireless. Whilst attempting to connect via wireless, please goto Start -> Run -> Type CMD -> Press <Enter> -> In the command prompt window, type: ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt -- this will save your IPconfig to your C: drive as "ipconfig.txt", allowing you to post it here later.
  • Goto Start -> Run. This opens the RUN Command.
  • Type in: devmgmt.msc :and press the OK button. This opens the Device Manager.
  • Scroll down to Network adapters, expand it and verify that there are no Yellow Exclamation Points beside your Wireless Adapter. Respond to this post and tell us if there were or not.
Please perform a test while connected via wireless..

Test your Network
1. Goto Start, Run, type: NETSH DIAG GUI - press 'OK'. A Command Prompt window will open temporarily; don't touch it, it will disappear in a moment.
2. A Microsoft Help and Support window will then open; select the option 'Scan your system'.
3. Wait for the scan to finish and then scroll down to the heading 'Modems and Network Adapters'. Look at 'Network Adapters' (don't expand it yet). Beside your connection information, you should see a green 'PASSED'; if you do not (if you see a red 'FAILED') then expand 'Network Adapters', scroll down the list until you see the heading with the 'FAILED' (there may be more than one), expand that option and copy and paste the results here.
In the NETSH DIAG GUI, you should be looking for any red 'FAILED', however the key one is Network Adapters for you. If you see any other red FAILED, expand the component and copy the results.

If there are any red 'FAILED's, please copy the information to a temporary text file, and save that text file somewhere easy to reach so that you can post the results later.

Once you have done all of this, please reconnect via Ethernet to the router, and then post the information and feedback from the above tests.

Thanks,
Dan.

paige4

paige4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your help. Last night I changed from the Netgear wizard set up, to the
let windows configure your software (not recommended by netgear, naughty me!)
The wireless is now working well, excellent signal, no disconnections - touch wood!

I don't know if any of you guys have this software, and have had any problems with xp
after using it?
It also changed my welcome screen (changes file in registry) so had to use a fix
to change it back.

Anyway, all is well at the moment, hope it stays that way! :whistling:

Thanks again,

Paige