Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP or Hardware problem? Or Both?

• Please log in to reply

jffjone

jffjone

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Problem #1. On a hot restart the PC would freeze at the start of POST. On a cold start, PC will operate normally.

Problem #2. Trying to fix problem #1 ended with a HD format, fresh install of XT, drivers, hardware, etc. No other software installed, then I went to Windows updates. Downloaded updates and the PC hung up installing the first update. All subsequent boots would freeze about a minute after a complete start.

Problem #3. Another HD format, fresh install XT & drivers, etc, then install all hardware and programs. Did not attempt to download any Windows updates. PC functioned normally for days. Problem #1 was gone. Until I attempted the Windows updates again. PC froze again on downloading of updates, then total freeze. Problem #1 returned.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello jffjone,

I apologize for the delay in your reply are you still experiencing this problem?

jffjone

jffjone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for answering. Yes, the problem does still exist. Right now the PC is working because I have not tried to download Windows updates. The original problem #1 also returned.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Go ahead and download Memtest86 in my signature and burn it to a cd using a ISO burner. If you do not have a ISO burner then you can use Deepburner.

jffjone

jffjone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
(Go ahead and download Memtest86 in my signature and burn it to a cd using a ISO burner. If you do not have a ISO burner then you can use Deepburner.)

Thank you for coming back again. I downloaded Memtest86 3.3 and Mentest86 3.3 iso and Deepburner. Deepburner looked for an iso file to open, which was the zip file. I burned the iso file onto a CD. Also, probably a redundant effort, I opened Memtest86 3.3 and it directed me to produce a bootable floppy disk, which I did. I have both disks ready. ISO is completely new to me. Not sure how to even view what is on the CD.

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
If I'm reading right, the boot CD didn't work and you've now made a Memtest floppy?

If this is the case, take a look at the "Configuring Your Computer to Boot from CD" in this post (ignore all the reinstalling stuff!) and set your computer to boot from the floppy. Just pop it in the drive before you make the change.

For future reference, you need to extract the zip file by right-clicking on it and going to extract before you can see and use the iso image file.

jffjone

jffjone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The Memorytest86 found no problems.

However, the restart following the memory test opened the Windows 'Automatic Updating balloon' on the lower right corner of the task bar. Instead of closing the balloon, I mistakenly clicked on the balloon and the Update Wizard opened. I checked "let me make the decision" and closed the Wizard, hoping it would not open again. The computer froze shortly thereafter.

I rebooted again and several moments after Windows opened, the computer froze. I made a third attempt to reboot - This time, as Windows opened I was able to quickly click through to System Restore and it worked. System Restore rebooted the PC. This time when the Windows update balloon opened, I just closed it. I am typing on the affected computer.

But the memorytest86 did confirm my previous memory tests, the RAM is fine.

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
You didn't allow Memtest to run for very long, but for now let's say your memory is alright.

Try booting in safe mode as your computer is starting up by tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. If a menu comes up asking for a boot device, select your hard drive with your arrow keys and press enter. Get back on the F8 Key. When the startup menu appears, select "Safe Mode" with your arrow keys and press enter.
  • Open the control panel and go to Add/Remove programs.
  • Tick "Show updates"
  • Look for a windows update called KB890830 (This update has proven to be troublesome.)
  • Remove it if it's there
Let us know if it's there or not and the result.

jffjone

jffjone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The program KB893803 is there. The program is Windows Installer 3.1. I clicked on 'remove' and the warning message reads "If KB893803v2 is removed, these programs might not run properly. Do I want to continue?" "These programs" are all the programs currently installed on the PC. So, do I really want to remove it?

jffjone

jffjone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Addition to my reply above. There was no offering to tick "Show Updates" in the Add/Remove menu probably because I have not installed any updates. The PC's problems only begin when I try to install updates. Right now in System Properties the Windows Update Service is unavailable because I have not allowed it to start.