Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running slower After Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

fritz8th

fritz8th

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey everyone,

Having a little issue here I just ugraded some items on my computer and now its running slower than it was before the upgrade.

Here are the spec before the upgrade>>>>
Motherboard : ASUS P4C800 - E Deluxe
Processor: Pentium 4 3.20 Ghz
Ram: Kingston DDR 1gb kit PC 3200 (Came with 2 512mb sticks)
Hard Drive: Western Digital 160 GB Caviar SE 7200 RPM Serial ATA
Video Card: VGA ATI Radeon 9600 SE 128mb

After Upgrade>>>>>
Motherboard : ASUS P4C800 - E Deluxe
Processor: Pentium 4 3.20 Ghz
Ram: Kingston DDR 1gb kit PC 3200 400MHz (Came with 2 512mb sticks) ****added a 1gb stick of Kingston PC3200 DDR 400MHz****
So I now Have 2gb ram and computer is reading it.
Hard Drive: Western Digital 160 GB Caviar SE 7200 RPM Serial ATA ****Added a Western Digital 500 GB, 3 Gb/s, 16 MB Cache, 7200RPM
Needed more storage space (Do alot of video editing)
Video Card: VGA EVGA GF7800 GS 256mb

A couple of other things to add when I first installed the new hard drive I had some issues with it running it as A Raid setup up and also when the computer boots it says that no bios is installed but then after like four or five mins or windows loading screen it boots fine. Also some times when i restart I have to let the computer sit for 5 or 10 mins before i turn it back on because if I do it will just keep rebooting and restarting untill i boot it in safe mode then when it restarts it boots back up fine. I built the computer about 3 years ago has been running fine untill I added these upgrades last week. I contacted western digital and asus about the problem and the had me change my settings in the bios from raid to run them as IDE but in the bios it doesnt have anywhere to setup the master/slave setting for the hard drive and the customer rep from western digital said that I didnt have to change any of the jumpers on the drive and so I left it default which is with no jumper on it at all. So at this point I feel like I maybe getting a little beyond my knowledge of what be causing this so any help would be greatful.

Thanks
Dan.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It looks like you've added some more components, but you haven't mentioned what power supply you are using. If you aren't getting enough power to the computer it could cause all sorts of problems.

Your motherboard manual on the ASUS website is quite comprehensive, make sure you have installed the RAM according to it. It has good information on where to place them. It seems to recommend having one, two, or four sticks of ram. Three might work fine, but double check where to place them.

What type of RAID are you trying to use? I thought it best to only use RAID on two of the same hdd's, but I could be wrong there. Best just to not use the RAID setting. Also notice that you bought a SATA 3.0GB/s hard drive but your motherboard only supports 1.5GB/s speed - you might need to check up on this and put a jumper on which forces the hard drive into 1.5GB/s speed mode.

Good luck. :whistling: