Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mozilla Thunderbird

• Please log in to reply

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Alright, I've downloaded and installed the latest version of Mozilla Thunderbird :tazz: . Now, I would like to have this e-mail client show my Yahoo! Mail account. Does anybody who uses Yahoo! Mail know how to set this up? I'll be a little more specific in my problems. Here is what I have done, and it has failed me:

1. First I start then program and click on "Create a new account"
2. I then leave it at the default "Email account" and click next
3. I then type in my name ex. "John Joe" and my email address ex. "[email protected]" and click next
4. Here is where the problems start (unless I already did something wrong). I'm not sure whether to choose POP or IMAP. I'll guess IMAP and see what happens. Another problem now occurs, what is the name for Yahoo!'s incoming server. I guessed mail.yahoo.com but I don't think that's correct. I then click next
5. It already has the name "johnjoe" here so I just leave it
6. I leave account name alone as well because I have no clue what's going on
7. I finish the account wizard and everything appears to be fine. That is until I click on "Get Mail"
8. After roughly 20 seconds, an Alert message informs me that "Connection to server mail.yahoo.com timed out" So basically, I can't get any of my mail.

Does anyone know what's wrong? I assume it was the incoming server that I entered in. If anyone know's what I did wrong and what I'm supposed to type in, PPPLLLEEAASSEE let me know.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I don't use Yahoo! mail, but I wonder if they allow IMAP/POP email on their free accounts? That would limit the ads that could be displayed -- that pay for the "free" email.

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Then what e-mail accounts could I use that do?

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I found out how to use Thunderbird in case anyone wants to know.

Go to this site: http://yahoopops.sourceforge.net/

Download YPOPs!.

After this, follow these instructions: http://yahoopops.sou...artid=19&page=1